When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rolex Do's and Don't's

Packard

I'll be receiving my Rolex Datejust on Saturday. The letter carrier left off the signature card yesterday and will get it today and will deliver it on Saturday.

Here is the model: http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1512

A few questions:

1. Is there an on-line instruction manual? If my last rep is any indication there will be no documentation with the watch.

2. Are there any warnings I need to heed in order to avoid damaging the mechanism?

3. Are there any steps I need to take to ensure that it continues to run correctly?

4. Are there any precautions regarding setting the date?

My previous rep (Breguet) has a Swiss ETA movement also and required nothing more than setting the time and date and wearing it. I'm hoping for a similar sequence with the Rolex Rep.

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Packard

1) No instruction manual, but getting the watch going should be pretty straight forward. To get the watch started, put the watch on the palm of your hand, caseback flat on your palm and give the watch a swirling motion. This should spin the rotor a few times and should start the watch up.

2) No issues with damaging the watch aside from manual winding. Let the auto rotor do the work of winding instead of handwinding at the crown as this could potentially damage the movement.

3) I would advise that you wear the watch for a few days/weeks to check accuracy. The watch may or may not exhibit great time keeping out of the box; if it is +/- XX seconds a day, give the watch some time to settle into your wearing habits; you may find that over time, the time keeping will improve as your arm's motion will provide for correctional positions throughout the day (remember, this is a mechanical watch; the lubrication/oil can and will distribute as it moves in different positions).

4) When you unscrew the crown, the first position the crown will be in (once disengaged from the tube) is the winding position (1st position). If you pull the crown out one position, that's date setting (2nd position). If you pull one more position, that's time setting (3rd position).

Your watch may or may not need servicing; it's always difficult to say with reps and Swiss movements as there's no real way to determine where the movement came from or how old it is. If your movement starts showing signs of low power reserve, or egregious time gain/loss, you may need to have the movement overhauled. It's generally a good idea to do this once every 5 years anyways for longevity of the movement.

Good luck with the new watch! Hope you enjoy it...

1) No instruction manual, but getting the watch going should be pretty straight forward. To get the watch started, put the watch on the palm of your hand, caseback flat on your palm and give the watch a swirling motion. This should spin the rotor a few times and should start the watch up.

2) No issues with damaging the watch aside from manual winding. Let the auto rotor do the work of winding instead of handwinding at the crown as this could potentially damage the movement.

3) I would advise that you wear the watch for a few days/weeks to check accuracy. The watch may or may not exhibit great time keeping out of the box; if it is +/- XX seconds a day, give the watch some time to settle into your wearing habits; you may find that over time, the time keeping will improve as your arm's motion will provide for correctional positions throughout the day (remember, this is a mechanical watch; the lubrication/oil can and will distribute as it moves in different positions).

4) When you unscrew the crown, the first position the crown will be in (once disengaged from the tube) is the winding position (1st position). If you pull the crown out one position, that's date setting (2nd position). If you pull one more position, that's time setting (3rd position).

Your watch may or may not need servicing; it's always difficult to say with reps and Swiss movements as there's no real way to determine where the movement came from or how old it is. If your movement starts showing signs of low power reserve, or egregious time gain/loss, you may need to have the movement overhauled. It's generally a good idea to do this once every 5 years anyways for longevity of the movement.

Good luck with the new watch! Hope you enjoy it...

Thanks for the prompt reply. This reads such that I will not have to seek out any further information. My Breguet replica is 1 - 2 seconds fast per day--about 1 minute fast per month and that seems more than acceptable to me. I'm hoping for a similar result with this watch.

It would appear that the transportation process in the US mail truck was sufficient to get my Breguet replica reasonably well wound and it was ticking robustly as it came out of the box and I've never hand wound this watch. I would assume the same for the Rolex. I'll let you know on Saturday.

Regards,

Packard

Why is that?

It will damage the movement for sure.

I advise you to read this: Zigmeister Movement Information

BTW, all the questions you ask here are already answered. If you use the search function you will find almost every information you require here. It's up there in the right corner of your screen. ;)

Kind regards.

Val.

Actually The Zigmeister says about the 2836-2 (as fitted in the OP's Datejust) and 2824-2 -

"No problem on this model for quick set on the date, you can safely set the date anytime of the day."

Absolutely right, of course. I tought we were talking about a 7750 movement.

Sorry for the confusion.

Val.