When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Aftermarket AR. Why bother?

Pugwash

po45-po42-01-640.jpg

Click to embiggen

See the watch on the left? That's a 4th Gen 42mm PO. On the right, that's an Ultimate Planet Ocean. Can you guess which one has the aftermarket AR?

Yeah, it's worth it.

ps. No photoshop trickery to make one look better than the other. They look like that in real life.

hmm

I think, they r both reps!

Yes, they are both reps.

The one on the left is a 42mm PO 4th gen I bought from Ubi. The one on the right is an Ultimate Planet Ocean bought from Precious Time, with a stripped crown/tube and aftermarket K2222 AR. Where did I say they were not reps?

Edit: Maybe you thought 4th Gen meant genuine and not fourth generation. Sorry about that.

It is only a pitty, that it is still so complicated to get a decent AR coating done.

At least when you live in the EU.

The chief is for us also hard to reach...

Jakub is off, Rocketeer was an illusion...

AR from an optician is also no alternative, looks shitty greenish.

I wonder why there is no one starting up his new business for this service in EU. He must make a fortune, when I see the huge demand here !

What makes this so process so complicated, can someone enlighten my ignorance ?

cheeers :p

I wonder why there is no one starting up his new business for this service in EU. He must make a fortune, when I see the huge demand here !

If you honestly think there's a fortune to be made, I suggest you start a business.

I was considering organising a group AR with The Chief, but once you start doing the logistics, it turns out you have to really love this hobby as the chances of the middleman losing considerable sums of money are high. Unless you're a skilled and experienced watchmaker, it's impossible to manage it on the kind of scale people want.

If I were to offer an EU AR service, I would get hundreds of people interested and it'd become a low-paying full time job in a week. No thanks, I already have a job and my skills aren't good enough to manage the scale of it. Lose one customer's watch and your entire profit margin is wiped out.

This company does that : xxx.bloesch.ch (xxx = www)

The thing is you cannot do it on 1 watch at a time.

Each "shot" cost hundred of euros (apart from the cost of the machine), so you have to put several saphir to make a business from that.

As pug said, the biggest problem in making money from that is not the cost of the operation itself.

It is the logistic part.

On 100 cristals, some will be lost during transportation (And I'm not even talking about members who will send the whole watch...)

Edited by apowers

Jakub Jablonski (aka K2222) managed to set up a business whereby he had a watchmaker to remove crystals (for a small additional cost) and the facility to get the AR treatment applied. The first runs he did were pretty good, the later runs (before he vanished), were superb. Despite the fact that Jakub ran off into the mist, (with a number of RWG members' watches/crystals), he was able to get an AR business set up to coat rep watch crystals for rep watches.

Where did Jakub get the crystals ARed? (presumably somewhere in Poland) and if he could do it, why isn't there anyone else who can do it?

Surely Cheiftang isn't the ONLY person in the world who can offer such a service to the members of RWG (and other forums) ? :huh: