When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

"Some minor desk-diving scuffing..."

TeeJay

Made the desk was made of hammered granite. Rolex could buff that right out.

I actually used the bathroom floor tiles, exterior house brick, and a green scotch pad :) I think I've put sufficient 'age' into the case and bracelet for when I can install a vintage dial (and eventually) a vintage bezel :)

Hate to say it, but there's a distinct difference between looking vintage/worn, and just recklessly damaged. This attempt just looks like the former - unnatural.

Why didn't you just stick to the tried and trusted "masking crystal and jar of coins method"? :huh:

To be honest, I've tried the jar method before, and not actually had any success with it, so I figured I'd give another method a try. I'm guessing you're saying it looks unnatural as the impact lines are too consistent, rather than being more random? I could always give the jar method another try, as that might inflict some random damage to 'blend in' the scuffs I've already put in... One thing I would say, is that the flash makes the scuffs much more noticeable than they are with the naked eye. They're much subtler, almost invisible unless the light is directly catching them properly. Here's a few flash-less photos to try and illustrate better :)

[DSCN1547.jpg

DSCN1548-1.jpg

With regards the above suggestion of dragging a watch behind a car, has anyone ever had any positive results with that, or would I be right in thinking that that is just a good way to inflict reckless damage, and potentially lose parts in the process...? I know the look I wanted to achieve, I guess I haven't been quite as successful as I had hoped to be. My plan was to have the heaviest impact scuffs at the edges of my wrist, where a watch could get knocked/scraped against something over the years, with less focussed impacts on the inner-side of the wrist. Do you think maybe buff out some of the scuffs, and then inflict some more random damage via the jar method?

Why dont you try cape cod cloth to see if they will smooth out a bit, but still show.

Thanks for the suggestion :) I used a polishing tool and the scotch pad before taking the photos, and it made quite a difference to the naked eye, compared to when the scratches were freshly inflicted. I think the last two photos are the best example of how it actually looks to the naked eye. The first ones really did give the worst possible impression, thanks to the flash :D

Thanks for the suggestion :) I used a polishing tool and the scotch pad before taking the photos, and it made quite a difference to the naked eye, compared to when the scratches were freshly inflicted. I think the last two photos are the best example of how it actually looks to the naked eye. The first ones really did give the worst possible impression, thanks to the flash :D

I'm not a big fan of people who over vintage a watch. Just because it is designed to be a "tool" watch doesn't mean you have to make it look like it was used as a hammer. I'm for the more subtle aging such as what you have done. Typically what I'll do is hit the corners with a file and then repolish the edges. After that, I'll then rebrush the surfaces that need rebrushing. Followed by a stay in my pants pocket where I keep my keys and some change.

I'll do that for a week or so and then it will be ready for my tastes. Just enough to make it look like the case was "refinished" a couple of months ago but with the nice rounded edges of a vintage time piece. Then it's just a matter of wearing the thing on a regular basis.

I'm not a big fan of people who over vintage a watch. Just because it is designed to be a "tool" watch doesn't mean you have to make it look like it was used as a hammer. I'm for the more subtle aging such as what you have done. Typically what I'll do is hit the corners with a file and then repolish the edges. After that, I'll then rebrush the surfaces that need rebrushing. Followed by a stay in my pants pocket where I keep my keys and some change.

I'll do that for a week or so and then it will be ready for my tastes. Just enough to make it look like the case was "refinished" a couple of months ago but with the nice rounded edges of a vintage time piece. Then it's just a matter of wearing the thing on a regular basis.

I know what you mean, I didn't want the watch to just look like it had been totally abused and carved up, I don't think I've ever seen a vintage watch actually look that severely damaged... (as above, the first photos really do not accurately capture what I've done to the case, the last ones are much more accurate to a 'naked eye view') What I was bearing in mind, is that the case is repro mid-50s vintage, so that's a lot of milage for a watch to go through, even with a careful owner, so I figured that it had to have at least a few substantial dings on the lugs. I'm not trying to go for a particular model of Sub, more a Frankenstein's monster which will appear to have been 'patched up' over the years with whatever contemporary parts came along, but still pretty much in a constant state of use. I think the aged 1680 dial (when I can get hold of one) will be what gives it that real vintage flavor, and of course, the insert will need bleaching as well, but I'm really happy with the progress so far. I think getting hold of a repro 50s bezel will really be the icing on the cake :)

Nice work! Looks a lot like my "naturally aged" bracelet:

07202009299.jpg

Thanks for the comparison, I'm definitely much happier with what I've done with that as a comparison :) What's the vintage on that?

I think you've done a good job. Try carrying it around in your pocketwith your keys for a week now and see how it looks at the end. :)

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll give it a try :)