When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Top Gun V2 recieved - possibly defective? Advice please

THXuk

RWG's

Recieved my Top Gun on Friday from one of my regular dealer

Over all Im pretty pleased with only one real issue of concern which I will share later.

A bit of background to set the scene... ^_^

I have wanted one of these for quite some time, but like many was put off by the high price.

As a collector of reps for many years, and owner of ****e asian holiday purchases to MBW's, Eddie Lee specials etc, I am used to good and bad reps and ones that are truly good value and some that are totally over the top.

What I can say is from over 40 reps, there has never been one that has not had a small issue of some kind.

On a positive note in that time, I have only had 2 that were DOA, 2 that were the wrong watch or colour, and maybe 3 that have failed in the first few months, and conned only once.

So, not too bad, but the fact remins that all big/large faults could have been avoided by a simple QA for a few seconds, plus someone looking who's eyesight is reasonable ;)

Am I an awkward customer, I dont think so, but as these reps start to creep up on price, I do think so should the QA.

Back to the watch - It really is a lovely piece, the band is great quality, buckle is okay, though quite rough/sharp on the arm (not as bad as the BB clasp)

sideviewc.jpg

By thxuk at 2009-07-19

The AR is average,its difficult to tell from the pic, but if you look real closely the lume on the minute hand is not evenly spread, when you look in daylight it has a dark patch running down the middle of it, shame.

lume.jpg

By thxuk at 2009-07-19

The case is very well made, and the engraving is 1st class. Pushers feel good, though crown edges are a little sharp.

rearf.jpg

By thxuk at 2009-07-19

engraving.jpg

By thxuk at 2009-07-19

The movement is where I have the real concern. Whilst winding a few turns I could feel it sliding (I said months ago to never get another asian 7750, but hey ho) The watch is running about 3 seconds fast a day.

frontview1.jpg

By thxuk at 2009-07-19

My concern was when I was brave enough to try the chrono feature, I will never use it but wanted to check if it reset to 12 okay. I started and it is very choppy, stopping for a moment then jumping forward. I timed it for 60 seconds, and it was spot on, but when compared to another 6 asian 7750's I own, this is the only one that runs like this.

The link below will allow you to view the chrono in action.

http://img36.imageshack.us/i/p1080216.mp4/

I have spoken to the dealer, who at the moment is doing there upmost to not recieve the watch bad. I dont blame him for that, and I have bought enough watches to not be overly concerned.

Its a shame I dont know anyone in the UK who can service 7750's as I believe this would resolve it.

So what do you guys think, am I being to awkward and should except its a rep with flaws or not

:mellow:

Final thoughts:

Communication before purchase was fast and polite

Watch recieved in 5 days from order to delivery - perfect

QA - could have been better

Saphire glass - does have a yellowish tint to it which does detract from the quality of the dial

Case Quality and engraving - spot on

8/10

Wrist shot

wristshotr.jpg

By thxuk at 2009-07-19

The shot you have, of the engraving on the side...is "average".

Not being critical of photo skills....but how good is the side engraving.??

Other reviews have been that this is very good, yet your photo is ????

As far as your problem...I would have to agree that hopefully a service will fix this.

Try that euro connection, or just ring a few local watchmakers, and ask if they will work on a rep, with a Chinese movt.

You may be surprised how many will embrace the work, in these tighter financial times. :rolleyes:

And ...NO, it is not good enough for the suppliers to "run for cover" when a problem arises.

Unfortunately, this is becoming the norm, and the time is coming , very soon, when suppliers will need to be made more accountable.

But finally, it is only the buyers out there, who can achieve this, either by their reviews in the suppliers areas, or by selecting those suppliers who are performing at an acceptable level.

This can only be achieved through reviews of watches actually purchased, and those reviews showing in the suppliers areas.

Hope you get this one sorted, and I may say that this is a watch of interest to me, but what I have seen thus far breeds not a lot of confidence.

Offshore

Yep, allways wanted one of these myself. One of my fav high end reps and I was hopeing for more from the V2 TBH. Not exactly cheap after all are they? One expects a damn good piece at this price point! If it were me I would send the crystal off to ChiefTang for a decent AR treatment as this piece is worth the bucks spent. It will make a big difference in the apearence of the watch. The 'smith could no doubt remove the crystal and send it off during service if you arange to do this during one of CT's runs.

As I maintain the RDL on another forum I would apreciate it if you could PM me the name of the dealer involved. All these little stories add up in some cases. I am shure the admin here would like to know as well.

Regards, Col.

The shot you have, of the engraving on the side...is "average".

Not being critical of photo skills....but how good is the side engraving.??

Other reviews have been that this is very good, yet your photo is ????

My camera is poor at macro, this was as close as I could get before it got blurry, it really is nice and clear. Ill give it another go, but others have already posted pics of the old and new side by side, so cant really add more to it.

And yes, my photo skills are not great B)

My camera is poor at macro, this was as close as I could get before it got blurry, it really is nice and clear. Ill give it another go, but others have already posted pics of the old and new side by side, so cant really add more to it.

And yes, my photo skills are not great B)

Maybe try Macro mode. It's the little flower icon.