When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Explorer I - which strap?

charmquark

I've just ordered a high beat Explorer I from Josh's site.

This may be blasphemy but I'm not a big fan of metal bracelets, so I'm thinking Black Croc with white stitching from IWI - any other suggestions?

PS: Anyone else get this watch? Are there any comments or reviews specifically against Josh's version?

I've already ordered, based on the pics, the shipping and the fact that it's got the asian hi-beat movement, just curious at this point.

This may be blasphemy but I'm not a big fan of metal bracelets, so I'm thinking Black Croc with white stitching from IWI - any other suggestions?

PS: Anyone else get this watch? Are there any comments or reviews specifically against Josh's version?

I've already ordered, based on the pics, the shipping and the fact that it's got the asian hi-beat movement, just curious at this point.

I have a Datejust (SS, White) from Trusty Time that came with a leather band (tan) with a embossed reptile appearance and it is very nice. But it comes with a clasp and not a buckle and my medium sized wrist required the loosest setting on the clasp. But it is very handy and quick to latch and it seems quite secure.

See: http://www.tt88time.com/index.php?main_pag...roducts_id=1512

Edited by Packard

I ordered this watch before I never opened the caseback but I believe the sweep on the watch looked much like a 21J movement as it was slightly juddery. I think the info here that Josh has on the site is misleading as I don't think you will get a high beat movement. If I'm wrong though I apologise.

@ Kyle L : The Carbon looks great - it's the same white stitching/black strap look I'm aiming for too, to compliment the dial colours

@ Alligoat : I agree, on the vintage, the brown works better

@ numptyj (et al) : I ordered because it said high beat and because Josh has a good reputation. If it's not then I'll try to track down a movement to swop in.

@ Kyle L : The Carbon looks great - it's the same white stitching/black strap look I'm aiming for too, to compliment the dial colours

@ Alligoat : I agree, on the vintage, the brown works better

@ numptyj (et al) : I ordered because it said high beat and because Josh has a good reputation. If it's not then I'll try to track down a movement to swop in.

don't get me wrong not hating on Josh as i ordered the watch myself and everything was great with it, but was just slightly disappointed it said high beat and in actual fact wasn't when it turned up to me

what's the 'observable' difference between 'hi beat' and 'low beat'?

don't get me wrong not hating on Josh as i ordered the watch myself and everything was great with it, but was just slightly disappointed it said high beat and in actual fact wasn't when it turned up to me

Guest HaloArchive

The high beat movement will appear smother than the low beat movement. High beat = 8 ticks a second, Low beat = 6 ticks a second.

On a different note, where can I find that carbon strap? I like that combination :D

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE: it's not high beat;

"This watch is not 28800bph.. It is 21600bph.. It used to be 28800bph.. Sorry ..I forgotten to update the website..."

Which is disappointing but I can live with it for the price. He's changed the website so at least no-one else will make that mistake.

It arrived with a loose marker at the 5 o'clock (the little white "lume" had fallen out) so I've sent it back for a replacement.

One the strap front, I'm toying with the idea of a milanese (mesh) strap or maybe that hirsch carbon like Kyle. The reason is the International Watchman only take US bank checks or transfers which is a bit of a hassle if you're not in the US. I may also go for a black leather with white stitching since I can't see any other nice crocodile straps at a good price.

UPDATE: it's not high beat;

"This watch is not 28800bph.. It is 21600bph.. It used to be 28800bph.. Sorry ..I forgotten to update the website..."

Which is disappointing but I can live with it for the price. He's changed the website so at least no-one else will make that mistake.

It arrived with a loose marker at the 5 o'clock (the little white "lume" had fallen out) so I've sent it back for a replacement.

One the strap front, I'm toying with the idea of a milanese (mesh) strap or maybe that hirsch carbon like Kyle. The reason is the International Watchman only take US bank checks or transfers which is a bit of a hassle if you're not in the US. I may also go for a black leather with white stitching since I can't see any other nice crocodile straps at a good price.

Sorry to hear that, but it probably would've been easier to re-fit rather than the hassle of a return... Best of luck :)

• 4 weeks later...

PHEW: It arrived yesterday in the post - no bits falling off and it keeps reasonable time. As mentioned it's not high beat which is a shame but I'm just glad to get anything at this stage. I just adjusted the bracelet and will wear it as is for a few weeks before picking a strap.

Thanks for everyones contributions.