When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Watch winders

Packard

A ferris wheel with free gondolas has no rotation at the watch. Unless the gondolas are fixed and not free. Have you ever found yourself upside down on a ferris wheel? nope.

It was as concern but I thought the gondolas would rock a bit and that it would be sufficient to wind the movements.

What about the knife thrower's assistant's wheel configuration? http://ny-image1.etsy.com/il_430xN.63886649.jpg

so basically i can tape my watches to my kid's big wheel and they'll wind as he pedals along

Basically a picture frame on the wall with the watch so that the face is out. The entire watch rotates about 1 x per minute (using a clock motor for a drive train).

The rotation is not the same as you would see in a normal watchwinder.

I still think that the "lulabye" idea (gentle rocking from side to side) is the most movement friendly of the bunch.

How many "rocks" per minute would be satisfactory?

How many "rocks" per minute would be satisfactory?

Keep in mind the winding mechanism isnt perfect - depending on the movement, the rotor has to make a certain amount of movement before even engaging the gears and transfering power to the mainspring. I don't really remember the numbers, and its very dependent on the exact movement..

A link for you about different winders. (hope its ok to post it, if not, mods please remove it)

Edited by Neuuubeh

Guest techlogik

I see the point of that article, but it completely ignores the fact that a watch on your arm has more issues of torque and movement then a winder does.

Once a watch is wound on your wrist, you keep moving your arms all day right? So the same applies to wearing a wound watch all day and continually putting stresses on it.

Wow, that article nearly put me to sleep. Good points, but, the abuse a watch takes while worn I would say puts greater stresses on it. Think herky-jerky movements like while driving, or bumping into someone in a crowded room. Hell, ever Jog with an automatic, or ride a motorcycle.

Also, his argument about the fuzzy logic winders that stop the watch for 1/2 a day possibly upside down, or crown up/down.... So? Over time it averages itself out. Right now, my winder is stopped with the watches crown down. Last night, they were in a normal position. Think of this as pseudo-COSC testing. ;) I think the 'randomness' of my AceTimer fuzzy logic system gives me a good read on the movements accuracy.

YMMV,