When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Omega SMP Chrono (newer version) question

gioarmani

• 4 weeks later...

Having owned both the rep and gen:

I think I'm springing for the old model.

I owned a gorgeous SMP rep that I bought in '06 and to this day regret selling it, last year:

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

And after an obsessively absurd amount of deliberation, I decided to go with the older version, again. I love the steel Ohm and hour markers and the color scheme of the newer one, but until the manufacturers can sort out that dial, I have to say I'm stuck on the "simplicity" of the older dial.

Since it's been 3 years since I bought one, I'll post pics of my review when it arrives. We'll see if the sharpness of the case & band stand up to the original model.

Hey Gio, I remember your gen.

The weird thing about some gens is that they have pink chrono second tips. Some have orange.

Just like there's variation in the hand length in the standard non-chrono Bond model.

The rep is still one of my favorites... mine even has the ETA datewheel. It wouldn't even cross my mind to trade it. I'd love to have a gen insert though.

wrist2.jpg

If you're going with the Black dial it's a $325.00 or more fix for a new dial. I made a few changes to mine including the movement, hands, etc. and simply can't justify the cost to fix the curly toes and the connections on Omega. Further, after the curly toes appearing on a gen dial on another model I'm even less bothered.

Here's a wrist shot of the gen and a close up of my rep with the mods and double AR:

post-216-125038965894_thumb.jpg

post-216-125038962145_thumb.jpg

Jim

Hands have variation. The standard Bond SMP (non chrono) comes with both longer and shorter minute hands. It's a fact... there could be same kind of variation among the gen chrono versions (just like there's variation in the color of the chrono hand red tips). I wouldn't worry too much about it.