When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Felipe Massa incident....

numptyj

Brazilian Felipe Massa had a freak accident in qualification 2 today for the Hungary Formula 1 race tomorrow. It appears a torsion bar from Rubens Barichello's Brawn GP came off and struck Massa in the helmet.

It comes not even a week after Henry Surtees tragically died in an f2 race when a tyre from another accident hit him in the helmet. Massa is said to have had surgery and is in intensive care.

755343.jpg

Massa Crash

More news on Massa can be found here Massa 'stable'

Hopefully Massa will be fine and I suppose it shows just how safe formula 1 is, in terms of how his car held up after going into the barriers the monocoque was in full tack with only the wheels and nose doing their job and absorbing the impact.

Hopefully the race tomorrow will be a good one. I personally have been a big fan of Lewis Hamilton and hopefully tomorrow from 4th position and using the KERS system he has in the car he can finally get a good race finish under his belt this season.

I was watching the qualifying here in the UK, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw the footbage of Massa in the tyres and not getting out of the car

I really hope that he makes a full recovery and gets back behind the wheel of the Ferrari to compete soon, he is such a talented driver.

I was watching the qualifying here in the UK, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw the footbage of Massa in the tyres and not getting out of the car

I really hope that he makes a full recovery and gets back behind the wheel of the Ferrari to compete soon, he is such a talented driver.

was so surprised when they were saying that he was hit with debris just so much of a freak accident just like last week at Brands hatch, hopefully we wont be seeing anything like this again for many years

It's weird isn't it, to have two such similar incidents in such a small space of time!

I haven't read the full report since watching the qualifying, but if the debris was in fact from Barachello's car, it's strange that it was still bouncing around the track as Barrachello was a long way in front. Also, there was no other driver in sight of Massa from who the debris could have flicked up off from! Certainly a freak accident.

It's weird isn't it, to have two such similar incidents in such a small space of time!

I haven't read the full report since watching the qualifying, but if the debris was in fact from Barachello's car, it's strange that it was still bouncing around the track as Barrachello was a long way in front. Also, there was no other driver in sight of Massa from who the debris could have flicked up off from! Certainly a freak accident.

I cant actually clarify that it was from Rubens car but thats what the early reports were suggesting and then when the cameras went into the brawn car to look at the back of his car they were shunned out, not to mention that in his interview about his qualy session Rubens had mentioned that the read end of his car something had fallen off but he had not known what it was.

It seems very weird that there does not appear to be a car in front of Felipe so one wonders were the debris came from but maybe we will find out some more in tomorrows coverage on bbc!

Was watching that. The replay from the in car cam shows the piece coming in incredibly fast. I really hope Massa recovers quickly.

Maybe Shumacker could step in tomorrow?

Ye it was bouncing around but then you've also got to remember that on the part of the track they are doing about 150mph.

lol thats what I was thinking how awesome would that be :D

I reckon his fitness is still on par with some of the guys on the grid, no doubt they have a test driver that will step in. :(

SHUMI!! :1a: