When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Gen Curly Toes

Jimster

Last night I get a call from a friend and watchmaker. He's holding a gen Seamaster SM300 Chrono, Blue dial, circa 1994. This watch is 100% gen as we walk through detail of case back, movement, serials, on and on. Then he drops the bomb. The dial has curly toes and so does the Omega logo inside the caseback. I'm talking curl just like our reps. What to do next since the watch is in for a complete service, and bracelet refinish. Off comes the dial. Gen all the way. So, armed with every number from the watch look what comes up:

My link

Curly all the way. I've been noticing more curly toes on some early gens as well. In fact my 165.024 has the slightest curl.

Very Interesting!!

I think curly toes are often seen in printed dials but for the raised logos in the latest SMPs and all POs, they're not happy feet/curled toes.

That was my understanding as well. Only the applied logos have the shortened feet, presumably to make them look tidier, which i think i can agree with as they look odd on the reps.

In comparison, Rolex has just as many logo variations with their coronet as well. Granted, some of these differences were a result of utilizing different suppliers for their dials, some of those differences are still apparent in current day applications, and production is in-house.

As an aside, I thought it was quite interesting to see that some gen Omega dials are Singer made...

IMG_5435.jpg