When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Help! New RWG not working on my computers

Steve52

Every since the change my computer either locks up when I try to get online or it takes 5-10 minutes to get a page, then locks up when I click on anything. I'm using my crackberry to post this. Can anyone help? Gotta have my RWG! I get email notifications on this so please post if you have any ideas.

Thanks!

Halo, YOU THE MAN! Thanks so much. Got your post on my Blackberry right away and downloaded Firefox and here I am. Thanks sooooo much! Now I can get that RWG fix I've been missing!

:drinks:

On the first day the forum loaded very quickly.

Then, yesterday I started experiencing the same problem as the other people here are describing, on three different computers (all running IE 8).

Yes, using Firefox skirts the problem.

But there is something seriously wrong when one of the add-on RWG modules takes forever to load or locks up IE 8. I've tried a number of different workarounds to try to fix this, but without success.

IE remains the most commonly used browser around, so the logical solution would be to fix the RWG code rather than expect every visitor to install an alternate browser -- especially when I can't think of another Web site that I use that has this problem. How many people will give up on RWG or never even give it a try because their browsers choke?

Seriously, I would have given up because I don't have the time or the knowledge to find a fix myself. If Halo hadn't have told me to get Firefox, I'd have give up and tried to come back once in a while. Not that I'm not devoted to the site, I just don't have the time to spend.

IE8 at home crashes, or displays after 10 minutes and then crashes. IE7 at work functions perfectly.

Saying that, the problem *may* be linked to the messenger - I can't view RepGeek in IE8 if I've received a private message (something to do with the popup menu), so I have to navigate directly to my inbox in the address bar. Not sure if it's the same board that's powering RWG, but I think my solution will also be to move to Firefox ;)

Still hangs on IE 8..... however, I just went to the IE 8 Page menu and selected Compatibility View and suddenly RWG is redrawing normally and quickly again.

Understanding the Compatibility View List.

I don't have time to validate this on my other computers right now, but perhaps other IE 8 users can give it a try and see whether this solution works for them.

Cheers./

I too have same problem and posting this from iPhone! I'm not prepared to change my system either for the sake of one site!

This needs to be sorted as I'm sure a lot of people have ie8. It is not much fun on a small screen!

I have just used comparability view and it has improved but still slow and not doing much for the viewing experience. It's like being on dial up all over again!

I had the same trouble with IE8, would crash the browser before even getting to the first page. Here is the kicker, my laptop is a 6 year old Mac that has not had its operating system or web browser updated in about 2 years, and it opened the new RWG perfectly, Microsoft does it again <_< . I switched to using Firefox and everything works great. What I did is keep IE8 to use for other sites and for my wife to use and made sure it was still listed as the default browser. Then, I installed Firefox, had it bring in all my bookmarks from IE8 and just launch it from my desktop icon. This way, I got IE8 for most stuff and Firefox for the watch stuff, and maybe in time, both my wife and I will get used to Firefox enough to abandon IE all together.

Cheers B)