When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

eBay bargain?

Pugwash

I saw this job lot on eBay and decided to just take a chance on it.

It was sold as movements and not watches, two of which were working. When they arrived, this is what I saw.

eta2892-01.jpg

Those were Raymond Weil watches, one of which is essentially ready to put a strap on and wear.

Only one has a stem, but three of them run. What are those movements? Can you tell?

eta2892-02.jpg

Here's a hint:

eta2892-03.jpg

I got a couple that way too. The first has been running for about 9 months but now needs to take a trip to Canada.

As I intend to put them in replicas, I'm not too concerned about their longevity, especially as the lot only cost $160 including delivery. I figure if I can get two working movements that then need servicing a year down the line that's still cheap.

Maybe I've not got the bargain I think I have, but I'm definitely not unhappy with them. :)

If you can get 2 - 3 good working movements out of the lot, I'd say it's a pretty good score. Granted, they look to be in dire need of servicing...

There's no chance of that now. Mrs Pugwash took a liking to the mostly working one so I made it into a complete watch. She's now rockin' a gen 2892A2-powered Raymond Weil. Ho hum.

:D

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get 2 - 3 good working movements out of the lot, I'd say it's a pretty good score. Granted, they look to be in dire need of servicing...

I meant to update this post but wrote Lessons from an ETA upgrade instead.

Anyway, I got three movements out of this. One is Mrs Pugwash's Raymond Weil watch, one is in my PO 42 and the last working one is in a RW case waiting for a project. Having a fourth for parts and not being scared of losing a movement really helped me learn more about fixing movements.

Even if all but one of these movements die in the near future, this will have been worth it.