When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is this cheapo vintage GMT worth trying?

Guest Sql_pl

Just think of this watch as a cheap hooker...yeah, you can get it to do the same things as the more expensive one but it might not work out as good in the long haul.

The rivited bands on these are junk (made out of some pot metal and rivit screws than you can never get to go back in correctly). You would be much better off with the correct jubilee band for this model which is also available.

Putting aside my vintage purist hat for a minute, I'd say for what you want it for, and the price, it doesn't look half bad at all. Not in comparison to some stuff out there.

The dial is a dog of course, but the case looks half decent, and the CGs and crown look good.

Litmus test though comes when you want to mod it. Will a T116 fit? Will gen bezel fit? Will gen/redial even fit? In all likelihood, not.

I'd say go for it :) It might be moddable with replacement parts, or, as above, it might not be, but even if it's not, you could always do some work with what it does have, such as scuffing up the case/bracelet, maybe bake the dial for 10 seconds... It might not be perfect, but it could still be a nice watch in its own right :good:

Thats a cool looking vintage.. I like the riveted bracelet and old school clasp

Overall, I pretty much agree with Doc on the watch itself. But, as Indy said, rep rivet bracelets are rubbish. They often fall apart & can be ID'd from quite a distance.

The gen links are longer & narrower than the rep links

0111.jpg

0061.jpg

0091.jpg

I've always liked this particular cheapie. But just like Freddy said, get rid of that riveted POS and replace it with Oyster/Jubilé.

Crown is nice and date mag/cyclops position is nice.

Accurate? Hell no... but looks "decent".

I would just put it on a Oyster, scratch the hell out of it and wear. :)

I remember that Silixx has it with the Jubilee band. I don't know any out-of-the-box Vintage GMT that would pass the test without some serious mods. On the other hand, to test the waters one of these cheapos will probably do..