When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Wishing I Had $28000 Lying Around...

HauteHippie

That's been safe-queened without question. Which suggests it may have its B&P as well. Which further suggests $28k is a huge undervaluation.

This on VRF?

28k would seem to be a huge under valueation. I suspect this has been heavily restored. That dial has never seen much sunlight looking at the red print yet the lume is nicely aged. Does tritium yellow that way without UV exposure? It's just too good and you would be afraid to wear it as folk have said. Something not quite right here even tho the seller seems to be highly rated.

Col.

Took the words right out of my mouth T'J, right down to the automobile allusion.

And too it's odd, if I were to take possession of Bob's watch, I would cherish it for the fact it had been around the block and he were responsible for it's patina. I would wear it in, and continue that vein. But, if I took possession of the virgin piece I would beat myself up for using it in it's intended design and marring it. It takes guts. That would be where Bob comes in. :lol:

That is why I am so glad my one vintage Rolex piece came from a good 39 years, albeit kind service. I get to wear it. I just have to be careful. If it came in the condition of the above Sea Dweller? I may wear it to bed.

Good find Chief. Great thread. Yup.

Great minds think alike :D Personally, I doubt if the watch has ever been worn. I had a bracelet like that pick up some scuffs at the link which goes into the end piece within 30 minutes of wear, just from the friction of the watch and wrist moving. Okay, it was easy to polish out, but, I doubt the owner of the SD even put it on long enough to make such 'repair work' necessary, as it's in such flawless condition, I suspect it went from the AD's display, straight into the safe, only to be seen at 'viewing time', when it would be appreciated on the table, maybe wiped with a diaper, then put back in the safe... To me, while it might be a good investment financially, it's a waste of a watch which borders on the criminal, and misses the point of owning a watch (to wear it to tell the time) I can think of many other fine items to buy as an investment which are intended to only be viewed 'in state' and appreciated, but not a watch designed to be worn while working underwater...

@TJ - Good call

Don't get me wrong, if people say it's gen, then I don't think I know enough about watches to say otherwise and would accept their opinion that it is a genuine watch. I was purely meaning that visually, it looked like a rep, simply because it was 100% box fresh. It's time in the safe has meant that it looks like a modern reproduction of a vintage watch, rather than an actual vintage watch, simply because it's condition is so good. On the one hand, it is a good thing that it has been so well preserved, the other hand, is more a matter of personal aesthetic taste :) While I can appreciate someone buying it purely as an investment, I think it is completely missing the point that a watch is something to be worn and used, not hidden away in a safe...

28k would seem to be a huge under valueation. I suspect this has been heavily restored. That dial has never seen much sunlight looking at the red print yet the lume is nicely aged. Does tritium yellow that way without UV exposure? It's just too good and you would be afraid to wear it as folk have said. Something not quite right here even tho the seller seems to be highly rated.

Col.

I wouldn't like to say too much about the aging process of tritium, but if one was to have a suspicious mind, and start noticing inconsistencies, the lume of the second hand is a few shades darker than the lume on the main hands. I wonder why the lume of one hand, would age differently to the lume of the others... I know on an invoice shown here recently, the second hand was priced separately from the main hands, but if Rolex were to replace a hand, would they not replace the entire handset at the same time rather than fitting new hour and minute hands but then putting the original second hand back in place? From what I've heard of Rolex repair centers, it's not their style to leave old parts in place if they can replace them with brand new ones... Who knows...

Guest avitt

I think that dial is complete unmolested. Just look carefully at the lume...It has the characteristic even dot rows of machine applied tritium. I have never seen this reproduced on any refinished dial. And if the lume is so completely perfect, I assume that the rest of the dial has also been untouched.

The case, dial, hands, date font, crown, and pearl all look good. I will admit that I don't recognize the font on the insert. Here mine, with gen insert, as another point of reference:

08072009365.jpg

....and pearl all look good. I will admit that I don't recognize the font on the insert.

Avitt, very accurate observations

The insert appears to be a newer gen "lumi" replacement insert. The pearl has obviously been either changed from the original, or is a replacement old one.

As I said before (and I'll quote a very high $ gen collector I know): Once one thing stands out as odd, or out of place, most likely other incorrect items will be found. Would you take the chance with 28k? There are other fish in the sea (or, if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is). I'd rather spend 40k on something I know is legit.

watch is 100% genuine, with a later genuine insert. No B&P

Seller is AAA+, and has a fabulous reputation on both TZ and VRF. Do a search on his posts on TZ and you'll see the calibre of watches he sells. Most are in this amazing condition. I bought a DRSD from him 2 years ago in even better condition:

P1010610.jpg

P1010616.jpg

IMGP2983.jpg

I bought a DRSD from him 2 years ago in even better condition:

Mate that is stunning! Two probs tho from my POV:

1/ It's so nice/good there is no way I could bring myself to wear it.

2/ If I did, everyone would automaticly think it's either a damn good rep or a franken.

Having said that, you are a lucky man, she is a beaut.

Col.

I bought a DRSD from him 2 years ago in even better condition:

P1010616.jpg

Spectacular!! Though I do have one small complaint... you've had this piece for two years and never posted this picture in the "Vintage Domes" topic? For shame! :yeah: