When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

removing a moevement with no hacking?

dandonnelly

I have a eterna-matic movment calibre 1441un and I have no idea how to get the crown out so I can take the movement out of the case, it has no push release that I can see just a screw near the base of the crown and no hacking so no way to stop the movement, I thought you could only remove a movement in the time setting mode so the movement would stop.Any help would be great.

I have a eterna-matic movment calibre 1441un and I have no idea how to get the crown out so I can take the movement out of the case, it has no push release that I can see just a screw near the base of the crown and no hacking so no way to stop the movement, I thought you could only remove a movement in the time setting mode so the movement would stop.Any help would be great.

It is much better to remove the stem in the winding position.

Francisco

Remove the back, let the watch run down, hold the rotor in place with a blob of rodico to prevent it spinning (tacked on to a bridge away from any moving parts natch) and you will have a stopped MVT.

The screw near the base of the crown is proberly the one you need. Usualy a few turns without removing it completely is enough to relese the stem as it may hold other stuff in place as well as the stem. As stated above, best to remove the stem in winding position rather than set anyway. Removing the MVT running won't hurt it but a little more care must be taken as you don't want to catch the running sec hand on anything so wait untill it's run down for best results.

Col.

A unitas reqs 1 1/2 turns of the screw to release the stem,molnija 2, i would turn it a half turn at a time trying to remove the stem gently every time, if you unscrew it completly then you will need to re-attach the arm that holds the stem in that sits on the dial side of the movement

thanx guys I got it out and was lightly cleaning the dial, was running the whole time, I touched the seconds hand by accedent and now it is dead....I am not sure what I did any ideas would be nice. I am going to take it to my local watchmaker tomorrow, I want him to remove the hands anyway to clean the crap off the dial.Let me know what you guys think I did to the movement.