When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Paul Newman

JamesThailand

James - I share your love for the Daytona Newman model, but I think there are more accurate reps of this watch available & (hopefully) for about the same or not much more than you spent on this 1.

You should learn what the real thing looks like & how it functions. If you are interested, I would start by searching out pics of gen Rolex Daytona 6263s with Newman dials from google images or timezone. Then, check out the offerings from some of the collectors here (specifically Andrew & Joshua) & compare their reps to the real thing.

Sorry

I think if its his all time fav piece, he would love some good quality picture references of what a good rep versus bad rep are and subsequently the gen article. Just trying to help point the man in the right direction. Not pissing on anyones parade.

Dan

Oh I see what you're saying, and yes, reference leads are always helpful, but what I'm meaning, was your first comment:

Hate to say it looks nothing like the gen. Dial color seems funky, case i am not sure whats going on looks like a saucepan and the bracelet is weird....... Looks like its been pop riveted :S. Hope you didnt spend more than $100 on this.

was pretty critical, and I totally see what you're meaning, that more reference can only be helpful, I was just meaning, that the from the photos he's posted, James is obviously really pleased with the watch, regardless of it's inaccuracies, and I wouldn't want that 'love of the watch' to be tainted by having the flaws pointed out, without any 'nice watch' compliments to balance the feedback, that's all :) Even a bad rep can still be thoroughly enjoyed by it's owner :)

Hate to say it looks nothing like the gen. Dial color seems funky, case i am not sure whats going on looks like a saucepan and the bracelet is weird....... Looks like its been pop riveted :S. Hope you didnt spend more than $100 on this.

Do you have or you tell us your source for any 7750 daytona for under $100 ?

James most likely has fun and enjoyment out of the hobby rather than being too pre occupied with getting only reps that are 1-1 he buys what he likes well done James. You continue to buy what you like and instead of agonizing over what the gen looks like and spending months and big money as some do only to fail. in getting the watch close enough to fool anyone that knows enough about them. You have fun and enjoy

Edited by robj

Not even worth a dignified response..... But i will say this..... So let me get this straight you are buying a replica "brand" watch for it to have glaring faults and not really resemble its real life counterpart?? Moronic to say the least. Furthermore you are backhanding most of the significant posters on this site for which i think you should be ashamed......

And if you read on past the thread you would see the point i was getting at.....

Not even worth a dignified response..... But i will say this..... So let me get this straight you are buying a replica "brand" watch for it to have glaring faults and not really resemble its real life counterpart?? Moronic to say the least. Furthermore you are backhanding most of the significant posters on this site for which i think you should be ashamed......

And if you read on past the thread you would see the point i was getting at.....

I don't think anyone is saying that at all, and you're somewhat missing the point. It's not only just a case of obtaining a 100% impossible to tell from the gen replication (although some do enjoy building them) but a case of enjoying each watch based on it's own merits as a watch. Also, don't forget that the majority of the general public don't know (or care to know) the first thing about watches, and probably couldn't tell the difference between a Sub and a GMT unless it was pointed out and explained to them. Heck, a business advisor I know who has a pretty poor Explorer II copy, when I showed him how I'd rebuilt and aged my sub, asked 'why does it (the bezel) rotate?'! :bangin: When I explained that it was because the Submariner is a divers watch, and the rotating bezel is a timing aid, he then said he'd 'be scared to take a Rolex under water' !! :bangin: :bangin: Most people 'out in the wild' aren't going to notice a person's watch, and, if on the offchance they do notice it, the chances of them knowing the tells of that specific rep are pretty slim. Unless someone's actually trying to build a specific model 100%, many flaws just aren't worth caring about :) As before, James obviously likes the watch, which, at the end if the day, is all that really matters in this hobby, not 1:1 perfection :)

I am sorry I didn't realize you were any more than a normal poster .

Only goes to show that to the average poster you don't come across, as anything particularly "significant" or extraordinary at all and maybe you are the one who needs a reality check, because if you have tell everyone you are a particularly "significant" poster all the time then you are deluding yourself.

In all honesty I thought your response and the remark about the watch being sub $100 were the work of a Noob rather than a particularlly "significant" poster.

As for moronic I have to agree that people who only see the faults are just that I think it's particularlly suited to the people that spend $$$$ in making a $200 fake watch into a $1000 fake watch that with all the best intentions in the world will never be anything more than than an expensive fake copy of a cheaper fake watch.

But it's their money and it is their choice I certainly wouldn't call them morons as you seem to do with anyone that doesn't agree with your "Significant" opinion

I think you will find that your "Significance" is limited to your opinion of yourself and to all the other people you are nothing more than ordinary at best

Edited by robj

O my lord you ignorant man.

I will not argue with you because it is pointless, but i will make a few statements to correct you.

I was specifically talking about other long standing contributors to this forum.... members who have invested in V72 6263 that pay true homage to the gen 6263(namely freddy)... Nothing about me at all...

I think you will find people dropping the big dollars on reps also have very valuable gen collections, and enjoy the hobby far beyond the "brand".

I would also suggest the only person that thinks they have "significance" in this debate is you. Taking a stance on the basis of "$100" which was clearly a flippant and sarcastic remark is undeniably laughable.

Cheers

D

O my lord you ignorant man.

I will not argue with you because it is pointless, but i will make a few statements to correct you.

I was specifically talking about other long standing contributors to this forum.... members who have invested in V72 6263 that pay true homage to the gen 6263(namely freddy)... Nothing about me at all...

I think you will find people dropping the big dollars on reps also have very valuable gen collections, and enjoy the hobby far beyond the "brand".

I would also suggest the only person that thinks they have "significance" in this debate is you. Taking a stance on the basis of "$100" which was clearly a flippant and sarcastic remark is undeniably laughable.

Cheers

D

Members like Freddy, Ubi etc who do build amazing watches, do not belittle the watches people have purchased which are less than perfect. I can appreciate that your posts might have been intended to provide reference material, but your first post, would have been very easy to take as being solely critical. As mentioned before, yes, some people enjoy building flawless watches. Some people just enjoy buying what they can buy. At the end of the day, a watch is just a watch, and people appreciate them for their own personal reasons. As above, even a bad rep, can be thoroughly enjoyed by it's owner.