When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Need PAM selection help

RDubya

I've been reading this forum for a while, and perusing and drooling over Davidsons pages recently, and I'm still having a really hard time not knowing which model should be my first rep PAM purchase. There are just so many models to choose from, so many are ultimate versions, so many are not, etc. (how much stock should I put in this?).

Please, one of you learned PAM aficionados, recommend maybe your favorite top 3 models, with uber brief explanations of why they are your favorites?

I'm not looking for someone to make my decision for me, just hopefully steer me in a certain direction of specific PAM models that perhaps are the more accurate model reps/regarded as favored PAMs (if there is such a thing).

DSN stuff is one of the best out of the box but bear in mind that his parts might have fitment problems with the cartel parts. or example, cartel CGs have been known not to be able to fit to DSN cases... etc...etc. So be aware before you pull the trigger

My idea of a 3 must have Pams in any PAM collection.

1. PAM 111

2. 028/029/027 (Sweeping central seconds)

3. A Daylight (196/250/188/251)

A small yet comprehensive and varied line-up. For panerais, you cannot get em all.

Cheers

siesta181

I'd go for a cheaper version first off, as PAMs aren't always for everyone. First off size can take a bit to get use to and secondly the majority are on leather strap and some people prefer steel bracelet. Thing is if you get a DSN first of the next step is really moding as anything else may well feel a step down. First PAM I'd look at 111 or 104 and see how you go. Thing is it don't matter a hoot what you get because if the bug bites, you'll be buying another one before the month is out, (Take that as a bit of warning) as nice as they are they will drive you crazy

welcome to the pam world.

I am a relatively newbie as well. As a starter I bought a DSN mm20 which is a really nice watch with good overall quality. DSN are invaluable since as a newbie you do not want to do any modding work such as fitting the canon pin and reluming. As said earlier the choice it is a matter of taste. Personally, I wud recommend you to go for the PAM127 which is in my opinion the best looking PAM but it has also a monster presence on your wirst being a 47mm watch. If you like the design of the Fiddy but think it is too big then you might want to go for the pam111. Again there are many choices of movement designs like the H or the E (full panerai engravings on the movement). Here some nice pictures from a fellow member Samurai

However, if you do not want to wear a replication you can always go for one without branding such as the davidsen mm20. Bear in mind he has two versions awailable. One with a domed sapphire (more fiddy like)and the other with a flatter more gen like mm20 but the drawback is the improper fittment of the Crownguard and casing. If you have decided to pay a DSN I wud recommend you to go for a manual swiss unitas eta movement. But again some say asian clones uses better components and are cheaper and as realiable. Go and check out the movement revieves in the homepage. I can only say thatg you wont regret to buy any of DSN watches. MY other DREAM DAVIDSEN is a daetro MM20 in PVD with vintage lume.

Good luck

Edited by paneristi

Thank you all for the very kind and varied helpful input. This was a big help, especially raising my awareness to cartel parts/fitment concerns. I always assumed swiss movement was worth the premium but understand asian movements can be more reliable?

As for size that's actually one aspect of the PAMs that caught my attention. I'm a bigger dude with bigger wrists, anything less than a 42-44mm just looks less than proportionate on me (IMO).

I cant help but notice most PAM members of this forum opt for the leather bands, with few opting for the steel or rubber bracelets. Are these latter choices frowned upon by PAM fans? I know it ultimately comes down to personal choice..

Is the domed sapphire regarded as more rep-like? Is it considered more of an aged (as opposed to their more contemporary models) PAM look?

I'm sure my first purchase will end up being the first of many. I'll keep you all posted on what I end up getting. Cheers!

hey,

not sure if you got the link to davidsens watch collection but here is a link to a watch that I think might suit you. Bear in mind its a unique replica that is only offered by DSN as far as I know. Besides you might have the stature to wear it.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e230/watchmmx/The%20Big%20Engizianos/

ENJOY!

Thanks paneristi. The lume on your profile photo pic is amazing! Where is that from?

its actually a DSN mm20. Tanya told me that reluming cud cost between 150-200 usd so considering this a Davidsen watch is not that expensive. Use the search feature and do some research you will be amazed. It is said that the C3 mixture offers the brightest lume as seen on my avatar. but you can also opt for a vintage look or simply white lume. BTW, how to you like the BIG EN........ cant spell :)

what kind of model are you looking for? --> sportive (chrono?), contempory, tough and rough (submersible series), or more vintage style, or chique?

And what is the budget? Out of the box most Panerais are just ok, but modded they become great. DSN has some super lumed models as well, but also does not sell all pam models...

Personally I modd all my watches, once you have seen the superlume, you will NEVER want to go back to rep lume. For sure. But it has a price too. You will probebly also need to buy a better strap then.....

Hi Hooky. I suppose more on the vintage side of the model range, If I understand the classification correctly. Right now I've narrowed it down to the 111 (with metal bracelet) or the mm20 (on the fence between the pvd or non pvd versions).

Budget ideally less than $400 for the watch, then a small budget for some mods to start (strap, and, what else would you recommend?)

Ive really become a fan of great lume, youre right I can never go back to conventional standards..

I'd really love to hear what input you may have on model & mod preferences. Cheers!