When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Freezing/'fixing' hands

Ronin

I have some parts trickling in for a future, make shift, Daytona project.

I have a 21J movement that has functioning seconds @ 6, in addition sweeping large second hand, and lazy moving 3 & 9 sub dials.

In short. I want to freeze/lock/fix the large sweeping second hand, and 3 & 9 sub dials. The only thing I want running is the seconds @ 6 and hour/minute hands.

Thoughts? (P.S. Tried Searching with no luck)

You have to take a look at the movement dial side. If there's a bridge you need to remove it and see how the power of the barrel is transferred. I think you can freeze either the small or large sweeping hand as one will be directly conected with the gear train and the other one is probably driven by transfer gears (which you can remove in order to freeze it). As for the other hands they are too probably driven by transfer gears. So these too can be frozen too. You just need to take a look or post a picture.

Probblem is that an Asian 21j movement isn't really ment to be taken apart. If you do (and I did) it will be almost impossible to get everything back together....

I took a movemet like you are describing apart the other day looking for a fittting screw and i ahve to agree with above they are nat made to be taken apart and reassembled, i think there no fewer than 3 different plates on the side side of the movement

Thanks, that all makes sense.

I will post pics in the future, after the six stitches come out of my thumb. :(

This project is a learning project, and possibly "disposable" so my risk is minimal.

Thanks again!