When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD Vs Noob

P4GTR

16 members have voted

1. 1. Which platform do you prefer?

SSD and noob are falling by the wayside to BK/WM9 pieces.

Consider a budget friendly shootout, in the $250 or less range. It could be said, these two watches can still be respectable with simply a watchmaterial pearl and a once over to the crown guards.

-The SSD (latest,v2). The only real gripe I hear is rehaut. WM9's 16600 is around the bend, but a handful of bills more. With a lite version available of the SSD for a mere $128, and a DG4813 movement running $30 or so, theres a lot to be had for a little $$$.

-The noobmariner. Once the pinnacle, now underwhelming in the shadow of BK's WM9v2. How does it stack up against the SSD? A little less expensive, even with an all but mandatory asian ETA or DG4813 upgrade.

I've been thinking about this to myself for the past two days, now i'm just plain talking to myself. Please, discuss!

• Like 1

This thread caught my attention. As fantastic as the 'super' Rolex reps (WM9/blkm1234) are; they are just too much money from a 'principle' POV. I set my limit @ $300 for any rep a long time ago.

I ordered a SSD insert from Watchmaterial while ordering for my Classic Sub and LV, so I still intend on getting one. I cast my vote there. I'm still fond of my old TWB SD as sad as it is technically to gen. The SSD is 'it' for me. The DSSD is just too over the top intrinsically for my tastes.

As far as value goes, I think closer to the <$150 mark really is the line to be drawn. For $250 you can easily get some great chrono watches with function AND build quality. For <$150 you can get the cheap Milgauss, DSSD, Noob, etc. Bear in mind a WM9 piece is over 2x the price of a Noob which generally includes FREE shipping.

If you want to discuss which is the better rep a SSD or a WM9, that is a different question than which is better value.

For me, the value between the 2 is definitely the Lite SSD, screw the movement swap. The better rep?? I would probably still go with the SSD but with a Swiss movement.

This thread caught my attention. As fantastic as the 'super' Rolex reps (WM9/blkm1234) are; they are just too much money from a 'principle' POV. I set my limit @ $300 for any rep a long time ago.

I ordered a SSD insert from Watchmaterial while ordering for my Classic Sub and LV, so I still intend on getting one. I cast my vote there. I'm still fond of my old TWB SD as sad as it is technically to gen. The SSD is 'it' for me. The DSSD is just too over the top intrinsically for my tastes.

This post mimics my thoughts exactly. Honestly, I really can't spend $600 on a sub rep. I'd be more likely to walk into an AD and slap that down as a deposit on a gen.

As far as value goes, I think closer to the <$150 mark really is the line to be drawn. For $250 you can easily get some great chrono watches with function AND build quality. For <$150 you can get the cheap Milgauss, DSSD, Noob, etc. Bear in mind a WM9 piece is over 2x the price of a Noob which generally includes FREE shipping.

If you want to discuss which is the better rep a SSD or a WM9, that is a different question than which is better value.

For me, the value between the 2 is definitely the Lite SSD, screw the movement swap. The better rep?? I would probably still go with the SSD but with a Swiss movement.

Sure theres better general value elsewhere, but I speak of value in general between the two platforms. Keep in mind, the SSD is actually over the $250 mark from collectors if you opt for ETA. A box stock noob with a copy ETA is over $200 to your door. Throw in an extra $20 for a WM pearl and your close to $250. I say this because for me at least, a 28.8 beat is essential.

I disagree about SSD being the better rep of the two. It looks nothing like the gen. Crystal, cgs, crown, bracelet and rehaut are totally off. To be frank, I think it's rather terrible replication.

Properly QC'd Noobmariner has its problems too, but I'd much rather wear it over the SSD. Though both are outdated by today's standards... but you can't beat an Asian Noob in the $100 range.

both are outdated by today's standards...

Todays standards being a BKv2 right? BT.. I'm sure you remember finding RWG. Like most, you didn't want to spend $800 on a replica Rolex right? Some of us still won't or can't.

We've come a long way. For me there still has to be some sort of limit as to how much I'm willing to throw at a fake watch before it becomes savings towards the gen. I'm ok with a few minor faults. Even WM9's are imperfect.

@P4GTR: You're absolutely right of course. WM9 prices are too much for many... not all people are willing to put that much extra for some small details. Both are good reps by "out of RWG standards".

But it's not just Rolexes that have improved so dramatically in the past 2 years or so. Some flaws in those both reps are pretty apparent. SSD... ok rep maybe, but I simply can't get over how the rehaut looks... it's nothing like the gen.

Gen left, rep right.

dwelleruz4.jpg

Gen.

seadwellery2od3.jpg

Rep.

seadwellery2xo5.jpg

Would a crystal replacement (gen or clark) with new gasket solve this issue on a SSD or nothing to hope ?

I have a SSD lite and had never noticed that. The watch as a strong feeling and is. Scuba diving, windsurfing, canyoning. We spent a nice summer together 8) with everything fine, still near mint condition !!! A very good beater, not a watch to keep in a box :yuk: .