When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Rehaut : My biggest annoyance thus far in the modded rep game

chad

I have a pair of real great base reps and have owned the gamut of pam reps and gens.

I have been wearing my 176g gen for a while and went to the 112 rep today today.

I have seen one or two luminor cased reps without this issue but most do. Even the most highly modded.

The dial appears sunken too low on the reps. Can this be fixed in anyway?

I am talking about a very very small amount but it is noticeable even on the wrist of another person.

Here in NYC on the subway I use it to tell pam rep from the person across the car.

Anyway, is there a way to raise the dial slightly without too much trouble? Anyone else notice this? Could it be due to the angle the crystal is cut and false magnification?

Take a look down the page at FGD's collection. It is fantastic do not get me wrong, i am just showing the problem extends even to the finest pieces out there.

now look at this ad on risti.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/611718/thread/1246568373/last-1247506236/Only+for+the+fellow+Risti-+FS-+low+price-+201-A%2C+1BT%2C+25A%2C+127+%28GerardfromHolland%29

The difference is not subtle IMHO, and appears almost twice as deep from some angles. The dial appears to be right up on the crystal at all angles. I say "appears" because I still do not know if the dials need to be moved up or the rep crystals are giving a false optical illusion.

Chad if you could post a picture of your offending rehaut then perhaps we could appreciate the issue a bit more.

From the my experience, as limited as it may be rehaut is not really an issue with PAM's. But If you can show a picture of your gen vs rep rehauts that would great and I will happily stand corrected.

ST4

I can understand where CHAD is coming from.. if you look at FGD's collection... at certain angles.. the rehaut looks pretty thick... Not sure is it because of that particular angle of shot... OR... are the casesets from DSN?? DSN casesets sometimes have really abnormally tall bezels thus giving the bigger rehaut???

Just a thought.. might be completely wrong here...

Cheers..

Sure I will try and post some pics today.

The FGD example I gave you is not subtle though. It is far more visible than a flattened CG pin or an "L swiss vs T swiss" or a crown that is .1 mm off in thickness. (i notice those things also)

Have you wore a gen for an extended period and then a rep of the same watch?

Chad if you could post a picture of your offending rehaut then perhaps we could appreciate the issue a bit more.

From the my experience, as limited as it may be rehaut is not really an issue with PAM's. But If you can show a picture of your gen vs rep rehauts that would great and I will happily stand corrected.

ST4

i agree about dsn and some strange things going on with certain proportions on his casesets.

I can understand where CHAD is coming from.. if you look at FGD's collection... at certain angles.. the rehaut looks pretty thick... Not sure is it because of that particular angle of shot... OR... are the casesets from DSN?? DSN casesets sometimes have really abnormally tall bezels thus giving the bigger rehaut???

Just a thought.. might be completely wrong here...

Cheers..

I really only notice the rehaut issue in two areas. On handwinds the issue is really only that noticeable IMO on DSN cases which are flawed in numerous other ways--so i just avoid them in general. Comparing a very old school rep 111, a gen 112, a franken 03 w/ a jimmy case, and a gen 118, however, I notice very little difference. The easiest solution seems to be swap your parts to better case if it bothers you. The older rep handwind cases sell for, what, 40 bucks?

The other issue is more difficult. I believe that in many instances repmakers maximise the mag of (and/or provide hand clearance for) the thinner bk7 cyclopses they use by increasing the height of the rehaut. Certainly they understand that the reason their cyclopses will never match gen mag since gens use sapphire cyclopses with better focal length. And they also understand that mag increases the farther asway a lens is from whatever it's magnifying. For example, honpo 23 and 27 bezels are 1.5mm thicker than their gen counterparts. My rep ti 89 case also looks like it has a deeper rehaut than gen, (and the gen xtal on it looks like it's a little too powerful for that reason, I bet) but I can't prove it. I used jimmy cases on kruzer's 23 and my 27 frankens with good results but milling of the case is needed obviously. Other than that, I don't know what to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Yessir- Same Jimmy case and set up in the pics; only difference is the crystal. The new sapphire is an old rep crystal I had in the parts bin; I stripped off the lite AR, and pressed it in. Looks pretty decent, though I'm going to give the inner surface another polish.

Interesting to see the changes a crystal can make...

The affect is the definitely the refraction of light through the crystal... in the Gen pics it appears the rehaut is thinner than is possible to clear the hand stack, which is obviously impossible. The thickness of the crystal and the index of refraction of the crystal are at play here... the rep crystal will not have the same index of refraction because it isn't the same type of sapphire... so the thickness has to be adjusted. I'd say try a couple different crystals... the one's they sell on ebay are very thick... just a thought.