When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

AP Roo: quartz models are cool...

hackR

ok...forgive me if someone else posted on this topic...but the darn search function makes it hard to know if this has been discussed/shared before...probably has...oh well...

i came to the AP ROO party a bit late and a few dollars short...not knowing how i would like this on my wrist - and moreover - having too many other watches ahead of it in the pecking order - i decided to buy a quartz model that was in the FS section as a "trial"...i've gone this route before - that is, buying a quartz model that has the same casing as the more expensive automatics...

yes - i know it's flawed...but seriously, i'm buying it for looks and fun...and where i live a ROO is something from Australia you see in a zoo...

that said, i bought a white dial quartz ROO on ss bracelet...this is one hunk of a watch...a lot of metal here...but it seriously fits my 7.5"-7.75" fine...it lays down nicely and the bracelet wraps around perfectly...

i decided i'd like to get a rubber strap for this and contacted Reg (Narikaa)...he was overseas and responded that he can't get the strap, but that he was getting the quartz models with rubber straps for sale...(he has sold them previously)...as is the excellent service from Reg, he emailed me from Thailand with pix...for 68 pounds = $112usd, he shipped me a black one from Thailand...(note: they will cost a little more for shipping from UK)...attached are pix of the white dial version from the FS thread and the other pix of the white and black dial versions on rubber are from Reg...

hey - it's a cool watch...as most know...so for approximately $250usd i have both versions - white and black- and an ss bracelet and rubber strap to swap back/forth...works for me...and lucky for me, i find the white dial version looks great on ss and the black dial looks nasty on the black rubber...

i will continue to monitor member sales threads and consider an automatic - probably a secs @ 9 - to keep the price down...in the interim, these work for me...they may for you, too...

enjoy -- R

jreeman4201medium.jpg

jfreeman4202medium.jpg

jfreeman4203medium.jpg

dscf1851medium.jpg

dscf1850medium.jpg

dscf1849medium.jpg

dscf1848medium.jpg

pushers aren't rubber...coated steel..

and ST4's right, for the rubber strap and/or ss bracelet it's worth it alone...

nice quality, nice looking, valued priced reps...a great way to own this expensive rep - and/or as a trial watch before shelling out the big bucks for the automatic...think about the latter option -- you can always resell this watch and lose little to no money in doing so...it's a great win/win...

we sometimes overlook these advertised as "same casing as a7750" or whatever quartz models...i went the quartz route for the HBB, Ebel BTR, UN MDD, this watch - and have had a couple others...reliable, great value reps...

lastly, i will add that the white version i own with the ss bracelet, reallllly fits on my wrist well...i have a 7.5-7.75" wrist and wear-preference...i wear my watches slightly loose...and this one the same...it has no flop or off-balance movement...you would think it would as it looks top heavy...but the casing, the lug angle and the bracelet makes for a really nice fit...and yes, it has a weight to it - which will be less with the rubber...but it's not that massive to be uncomfortable for long periods of time...

i like this watch...and am glad i have both white and black - and have both the ss and rubber straps should i ever decide to swap...but IMO, the white looks better on ss and black looks nasty on the black rubber...

enjoy -- R

@Strat --> exactly...

both these models have the same casing as their more expensive counterparts...and from the looks of it, the rubber strap/deployment and the ss bracelet are the same...the ss bracelet's deployment is etched -- some of the new ones are now engraved...

i bought the ss one to see how i would like it and how it would fit...the rubber followed b/c they are excellent values and fit/wear great...not worried in "getting called out on it"...no one in my circle of existence know what the heck these ROOs are?!...

R-

• 11 months later...

@Strat --> exactly...

both these models have the same casing as their more expensive counterparts...and from the looks of it, the rubber strap/deployment and the ss bracelet are the same...the ss bracelet's deployment is etched -- some of the new ones are now engraved...

i bought the ss one to see how i would like it and how it would fit...the rubber followed b/c they are excellent values and fit/wear great...not worried in "getting called out on it"...no one in my circle of existence know what the heck these ROOs are?!...

R-

These look great, I want to buy the black theme one,but still not sure if I should buy the sec@12, or sec@9, and now I found this thread and this quartz version looks the same to me, does the black theme come with the rubber strap? Can you tell me how to contact Reg (Naarika)? I looked at the dealer section and there's no website or contact info for Naarika.

Thanks

Hack --

When I was in New York a few months ago, I did the Canal Street thing. The only piece I even considered buying was the Black Themes quartz on steel. I could not believe how close it felt to the rep seconds @ 12 Navy Themes I own. These really are amazing for the price! Nice pick ups -- both!