When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Water resistance of rep Rolex GMT Master II Ceramic 116710

stunopuli

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, and stayed up all night last night reading By-Tor's review of the above watch ;o)

I looked at PT's product description, and found nothing mentioned regards to water resistance. Would really appreciate some of you can share their experience relating to water resistance; can we swim in it? What else can we do to improve its WR rating?

Thanks in advance, and I'm looking forward to spending more sleepless nights looking through all the super useful info!

Cheers,

Stuey

i dont have this particuliar watch, so i can't say exactly.

But what is shure, is that you can swim with almost any rolex rep out there...

they all have screwed case, screwed down crown with at least 1 o-ring, and thight crystal fit.

Some reps are actually even quite good for diving ( i mean 10 <-> 100m ), but that really depdends on the model and is no to be taken as granted.

Now you need advice from somone that has tested the particular model you whant ...

Always do your own 'proofing', invest in a Bergeon caseback opener and a jar of silicone grease, will cost much less than having to fork out for another rep to replace a flooded one.

Another thing to watch out for on this model - well at least on the CHS version - is that the crystal has sometimes not been fitted correctly in its gasket, slightly off the horizontal. Needs to be removed and reinstalled properly using a crystal press.

What they said.

Reps have individual differences and generally little or no QC. One rep might be waterproof and another one not.

SD4k wrote a great review of reps and their water resistance.

Read it here.

water resistant :bleh:

Water resistance rating Suitability Remarks

Water Resistant or 50 m Suitable for swimming, no snorkeling water related work, and fishing. NOT suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 100 m Suitable for recreational surfing, swimming, snorkeling, sailing and water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

Water Resistant 200 m Suitable for professional marine activity and serious surface water sports. NOT suitable for diving.

Diver's 100 m Minimum ISO standard (ISO 6425) for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Diver's 100 m and 150 m watches are generally old(er) watches.

Diver's 200 m or 300 m Suitable for scuba diving at depths NOT suitable for saturation diving. Typical ratings for contemporary diver's watches.

Diver's 300+ m for mixed-gas diving Suitable for saturation diving (helium enriched environment). Watches designed for mixed-gas diving will have the DIVER

I've only had problems with one rep not having water resistance out of the box, and that was a manufacturing flaw. I've had a chrono rep which was water resistant, taken several photos of my reps under water, and have no quarms getting any of them wet as long as: They are on an SS bracelet or Rubber strap, and have all the o-rings in place. When the plexi crystal on my vintage sub started to leak a bit, I fixed it in place with epoxy... No more leaks :good:

Always do your own 'proofing', invest in a Bergeon caseback opener and a jar of silicone grease, will cost much less than having to fork out for another rep to replace a flooded one.

Another thing to watch out for on this model - well at least on the CHS version - is that the crystal has sometimes not been fitted correctly in its gasket, slightly off the horizontal. Needs to be removed and reinstalled properly using a crystal press.

Sounds like great advice.. thank you ;o)

when you say own 'proofing' do you mean go to a watch service shop, plus have the crystal reinstalled?

Sounds like great advice.. thank you ;o)

when you say own 'proofing' do you mean go to a watch service shop, plus have the crystal reinstalled?

Doc was meaning that with a caseback opener, and a tub of grease, you can do the proofing yourself :) Certainly with regards the o-ring seals, although the crystal might need some more professional attention :) (if it needs attention, that is ;) )

Doc was meaning that with a caseback opener, and a tub of grease, you can do the proofing yourself :) Certainly with regards the o-ring seals, although the crystal might need some more professional attention :) (if it needs attention, that is ;) )

Hi TeeJay,

Thanks for the clarification.. really appreciate it!

I just went through the noob site and found a GMTII with Nickel plated Swiss ETA 2836-2. How does one verify it's nickel plated in the first place, and does the price premium translate to better time-keeping?

Hi TeeJay,

Thanks for the clarification.. really appreciate it!

I just went through the noob site and found a GMTII with Nickel plated Swiss ETA 2836-2. How does one verify it's nickel plated in the first place, and does the price premium translate to better time-keeping?

No problem at all :) To be honest, as above, I have only had one watch which was not water-resistant 'out of the box', so as long as you make sure the case-back is closed as securely as possible, and the crown is closed down, as long as the crystal is properly seated, you shouldn't have an issue with water-resistance. Of course, it's always worth testing a watch before wearing it to a pool party, or some other kind of 'public submersion' :lol:

With regards the movement and the plating, I have no idea how you would verify that, although to be honest, with a solid caseback, rather than a display back, as on a Panerai, the appearance of the movement itself is pretty redundant, afterall, who, other than a watchsmith, is ever going to see it :lol:

As for time-keeping, as I mentioned in HikeUSA's thread, I've always found Asian movements perfectly reliable, and all the Asian movements I had, kept better time 'out of the box', than a Swiss movement I had...

At the end of the day, the choice is yours :)

Personally, I never take my watches to water. Reps or gens.

Mainly because I don't have to know the time when I'm swimming or showering. And I've heard enough horror stories of people ruining their super expensive genuines in water. These exact same precautionary things apply to gens as well... they have to be watertested too. The construction of cases is the same. If it's an old watch you never know who did the last service and how the case was screwed in/water tested.

But still, I believe 95% of the basic reps with screw down crowns are waterproof at least to some extent. Chronographs are completely different matter. But why risk it?

Personally, I never take my watches to water. Reps or gens.

Mainly because I don't have to know the time when I'm swimming or showering. And I've heard enough horror stories of people ruining their super expensive genuines in water. These exact same precautionary things apply to gens as well... they have to be watertested too. The construction of cases is the same. If it's an old watch you never know who did the last service and how the case was screwed in/water tested.

But still, I believe 95% of the basic reps with screw down crowns are waterproof at least to some extent. Chronographs are completely different matter. But why risk it?

Personally speaking, I just don't like not wearing a watch and not being able to tell the time should I need to, so I prefer to wear a watch which I can keep on without worrying about if it gets wet or not :)