When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT Master II rep - Wow !

exper

My first gen Rolex I picked was the GMT Master II soon after it was realeased, I got lucky at my AD and simply fell in love with the watch so had to get it. Having the gen, the replica never really held any interest for me and while I checked up on the updates every so often I wasn't really keeping track of it. I knew some of the basic flaws such as the wrong hand-stack, something with the rehaut and the AR, cyclops mag etc, in-case I ever stumbled across one.

So it came as a pleasent surprise to me when I bumped into a friend of mine wearing the same watch a couple days ago, I was trying to determine by looking at it on his wrist if it was a gen or a rep - I had introduced him to reps so I knew there was a possibility but he also has quite a few gen's. Finally after trying to tell for about 10-15 mins I had to ask him, he smirkingly took it off his wrist and handed it to me to inspect - a dead give away in my book ;)

I have to say this rep is as good out of the box as it gets. He recently got his from PT and I have to say I struggled to find flaws holding mine in one and his in the other. I guess I will have to do some proper research on this one to figure out what that tiny-only-spotted-by-us-rep-nutters-flaws are but nothing jumped up at me, slight weight difference - maybe, possibly the lume, maybe the cyclops mag - but I would have to be really nitpicking to even suggest these, the bracelet could do with improving as it just doesn't feel right but that's comparing side by side and also the colour on the bezel is very slightly gray and not as white as the one on the rep. On the wrist, I would say simply impossible to tell. Overall, very impressed with this piece ! never realised they had got it so right.

If anyone has picked up the YG one I would really appreciate some feedback on the colour, as I am thinking it might be worth having as a daily beater having been amazed by the SS one.

Since no thread is complete without some eye candy... heres some shots of my gen, sadly the rep is across the world now so I could not get comparison pics and the ones I got via my phone are not even worth posting.

dsc7877p.jpg

dsc7894.jpg

Edited by exper

Reps are getting scary good these days. I dont think they will ever be exact, cause they really only have to be "close enough" to get the job done. However they have made leaps and bounds in the way of improvements.

Of course you can never replicate a $8-10K USD watch for $300, and that will always show through. I think reps have their place and I love all of mine. There is always the pride of ownership and inherent value in the genuine article. That goes double in regards to Rolex, Patek , IWC etc. You can pretty much get within 15-20% of the book value of those brands, anywhere in the world at anytime should the unfortunate need arise. Rolex of course could probably be sold in a mud hut in the middle of nowhere, being perhaps the best known watch, and one of the best known brands of any product in the world.

Congrats on your GMT II. Beautiful watches, they have really got my attention as of late. I LOVE the all gold with the green face, amazing timepiece, but I feel the stainless is a much better choice for daily use. Wear it well!

Edited by gravityhammer

Biggest giveaway on the 116710 is the AR coating on the gen cyclops. Very noticeable side by side, surprised you missed it. Unfixable at present.

After that is the greyish colour of the insert numerals. Fixable.

And down to nitpicking level, the gen trip crown is slightly thinner and taller. Fixable.

Other than that, there's practically nothing to differentiate, a fantastic rep I agree which is why I'd never part with my CHS version.

I examined the gen in the AD as well. But I didn't even notice the cyclops AR... but I noticed the MUCH shinier bezel, which on the gen has different, almost brown tone (when the light hits it from certain angle). Besides the very disappointing unsymmetric rehaut engraving, bezel is the biggest difference, imho... replica can't quite duplicate that.

But still, it's very decent rep. This was mine.

1a.jpg

exper's comments come as no surprise to me. This rep is so good out-of-the-box that few, if any, gen owners would be able to ID it as a rep. Unless I spot an incorrect handstack, I, too, would have serious reservations about calling someone out who was wearing 1. With a watch like this, issues like missing AR on a cyclops or rehaut engravings are just not on the radar screens of most gen owners. These are truly Super Reps & I love mine

0311-2.jpg

I have to disagree guys, the cyclops AR (or lack of) is extremely, extremely noticable. When you say 'gen owners' thats like a huge generalisation isnt it.

Sure, I know gen owners who arent familiar with the latest Rolex line up, I showed my Gen GMT2C to a friend of mine who owns a 16610 and he seems to think it was below the Sub in the range and didn't even realise it was a latest design.

Alternatively any gen owner who is familiar with the latest ranges and has even seen/owned Rolex with the cyclops AR, it is extremely evident, there is just no glare from the cyclops at all. Comparing the cyclops gen 16610 vs gmt2c there is just no contest, 16610's glare almost obscures the date alot of the time.

edit: Oh but to add, aside from this.. incredible, incredible replica. Amazing that they got it so right really. Shows you what they can do if they are *really* trying ;)

Edited by ammandel

I have seen 4 of these in my area, and only one do I feel was gen. it shined differently and the AR was easy to spot, since there was glare on the xstal and not on the cyclops. the others didnt seem to have the ar, and one was just a weak fake. they guys was wearing it super loose, didnt even size the bracelet...

ive tried on the gen at the AD, I actually dont like the bezel or the shiney dial. I like the old alum. bezel and matte dial better. but im spoiled...

Hello All,

I have the full yellow gold model and when I first received it I was stunned. The quality is fantastic.

The only complaint is that the gold seems to be wearing on the edges.

If anyone can help with this please advise.

Thanks.

Ooh thats actually of interest to me, not the wearing part which is quite surprising but is it the same SS watch - just a different colour ? The date font, is it green like the gen ?

Thanks