When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Smooth/Even LUME

pdnb

I like smooth and Bright LUME with Uniform/EVEN lumination. It bothers me tremondously if the dial lumineses unevenly (i.e. small black dots, perhaps with uneven grain sizes???). I know Sausage dial application is very difficult, but is there a difference between types of LUME that allow for a more EVEN application??? Is it fair to say that a mixture of C1 and C3 may provide an uneven luminenese (with close inspection) more than a C1 or C3 only, or a vintage colored LUME?

LUME experts... shed some light on this matter <_<

The finer the lume grain the smoother the finish, however the finer grain the duller the lume.

Apparently lume mixture should be like snot to get a good finish.

Have a look at the RP and RWI guides, there is a whole afternoon/evening of lume reading there.

The finer the lume grain the smoother the finish, however the finer grain the duller the lume.

Apparently lume mixture should be like snot to get a good finish.

Have a look at the RP and RWI guides, there is a whole afternoon/evening of lume reading there.

MD- im sorry where do I go?

The best lume is genuine Super Luminova from RC Tritec in Switzerland. This is the same product as all the high end genuine manufacturer's use.

The brightest glow is C3, mixing lumes will not produce a more even glow.

If the lume is applied correctly, you will have an even glow no matter what colour you use.

The best lume is genuine Super Luminova from RC Tritec in Switzerland. This is the same product as all the high end genuine manufacturer's use.

The brightest glow is C3, mixing lumes will not produce a more even glow.

If the lume is applied correctly, you will have an even glow no matter what colour you use.

Thanks Zig for the clarification...I would assume mixing Lumes would not produce a more even glow, I am actually assuming that it is the mixture of the C1 and C3 (some REPS have this mixture) that may produce a more UN-even glow... is this true or is the presence of an un-even glow is more related to the application technique not the mixing?

Also, do you provide a service in applying Lume? Also can a vintaged color lume be applied to be bright?

Uneven glow is due to the application technique. Mixing the C1 and C3 is done to get the colour desired.. Improper/incomlete mixing may result in uneven glow however. Uneven glow can also be due to "bleed" through of the base layer being lumed over. Not much that can be done. Imagine, a white base layer will produce the best results...but if luming over black lume, or blue lume, the colour will be affected (imagine tryin to paint over a black wall with a light colour).

Uneven glow is due to the application technique. Mixing the C1 and C3 is done to get the colour desired.. Improper/incomlete mixing may result in uneven glow however. Uneven glow can also be due to "bleed" through of the base layer being lumed over. Not much that can be done. Imagine, a white base layer will produce the best results...but if luming over black lume, or blue lume, the colour will be affected (imagine tryin to paint over a black wall with a light colour).

OK, so now down to brass tax. I am debating between two DSN watches with sausage dials, a C1+C3 (27b/57c) dial or a vintage dial (27a). I think it is pretty clear that the C1+C3 will be brighter, but I received an 89 in the past and didn't like the uneven ness of the LUME (it seemed to have tiny black dots in the LUME that was only noticeable in the dark close up). Are these black/dark dots that I saw more of a "1-off" QC miss, or somewhat typical of DSN sausage dial LUME application?

I know there are other differences between the watches like PR arrow, and or Ti/SS case, 1st edition vs 2nd edition, but functionally and enjoyment wise the difference for me is how the LUME will look.

Thanks Zig for the clarification...I would assume mixing Lumes would not produce a more even glow, I am actually assuming that it is the mixture of the C1 and C3 (some REPS have this mixture) that may produce a more UN-even glow... is this true or is the presence of an un-even glow is more related to the application technique not the mixing?

Also, do you provide a service in applying Lume? Also can a vintaged color lume be applied to be bright?

I doubt that mixing would be causing the uneven glow, it would most likely be uneven application, ie thickness and width.

Typically the best lume you will get is applied somewhere else than the rep factory.

Yes I offer lume application, send me a PM for more details. On the vintage, most of the ones I do are fairly bright depending on what base I start from. As soon as you mix a colour into the basic lume mix, you dilute the glow.

Word of warning if you are counting on DSN's lume to be "Zig quality". I've got four DSN watches now, and on all of them the lume, though strong and long lasting, looks like an epileptic applied it during a seizure (I'm not kidding). However, this is usually only noticeable when you take close-up pics or have the dial a foot or less away from your face in the dark.

EDIT: Just did a re-count, eight (086, 088, 089, 091, 165, correct 228, 228 with purple dial, and 240) DSN watches now (all have the poorly applied lume, except the 240)