When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The way things were not so long ago

southcoast68

Hi everyone

I noticed the I was comming up on my 500th post here at RWG (and it only took me 3 and a half years to get there :p ), so I thought I would post something interesting and somewhat amazing. We have all no doubt noticed the prices of our favorite vintage watches go up in value over the years, but Rolex has been the leader in the inflation of vintage prices. A while back, I subscribed to Ashland Investments catalogs of collectable and important wrist watches and pocket watches. Some may know of these mailings, but to those here that do not, I'll explain. Ashland Investments, located in Sarasota FL, specializes in vintage timepeices and estate jewelry. Owner Richard Gilbert started offering these catalogs of their offerings, and all you had to do was get on the mailing list. These catalogs were small and only offered black and white photos, but I looked forward to getting them in the mail. Most all fine watch brands were featured, Patek, Vacheron, Omega, Breitling, Rolex, etc.

I kept some of these catalogs in a ring binder that I just recently came across. I had a few moments over tea to cruise through them once again. I am glad I kept these, for they present a rather amazing picture of what vintage Rolex used to cost and I figure I'd share some scans with you all. Again, this is not my collection and not my pictures, these are scanned from a few of Ashland's catalogs I received between April 1995 and April 1997.

Notice item 79 in this scan, when was the last time any of us saw a vintage Daytona for $4750? I notice the riveted oyster bracelet it has and the unusual dial that has the Daytona name in the top part of the dial instead of on top of the 6:00 register. It also does not state "oyster" on the dial even though it does have screw down pushers. The vintage pre-Daytona chrono, and the early Day-Date are to drool over as well.

Ashland1.jpg

Now for those of you who get sickened easily, you may not want to look at item 77, well maybe you will want to stop here, there is more to come. I almost spilled my tea when I noticed this, a vintage Explorer II with the original boxes for $1800!

Ashland2.jpg

How about Tudor Chronographs for the $1400 - $1500 range, but wait, there is more to come.

Ashland3.jpg

Item 74, the Daytona on the right is the expensive one at $5000, but by todays standard a bargain. A nice early 'Tona with pump pushers.

Ashland4.jpg

Now this I had to circle, a vintage 1680 Submariner with "submariner in red lettering" for $1500 :bangin: pheww. By the way, I thought that some of these photos looked odd, then I noticed that some of these have had their crystals removed, apparently to cut down on reflections.

Ashland5.jpg

Told you there was more to come, look away now or notice a Tudor "Monte Carlo" chronograph for $1325(these go for around 20k now!!?! :black_eye: ) or how about some "big block" action at $1425 each?

Ashland6.jpg

And lastly, how 'bout a nice 5513 for $1200, or get both the 5513 and the 1675 for $2400? Can hardly build a good franken of one now for these prices.

Ashland7.jpg

Oh Mr. Peabody, if only the "way back" machine was real. Bear in mind that this was the going rate from this company in the mid-nineties, we would certainly be bummed if we thought of the prices of these when they were new. Ok, now that I depressed everyone here, I'll be going back to work.

Cheers B)

It's hard to know which items (horological or not) from a given time will age and appreciate financially - it really is a gamble! Do you go for rarer ones now that no-one really likes and are cheap for that reason, on the basis they may become scare and more sought after? Or do you go with a watch you like and just hope it goes up a bit over time?

Decisions, decisions...

Either way, it would be nice to have the money to buy a few to see lol :D

Very cool scan.

I would say that those watches cost probably just as much as these days if you consider the change in value of money. Actually Daytonas were relatively much more expensive back then. ($4.750).

Of course those watches getting rare (like Daytona and red Sub) wasn't predictable. But if you just compare them to their brand new counterparts the prices weren't that low (in relation).

Anyone care to guess the year you could pick up an original c.11 Monaco blue-dial on rice-bead bracelet for $93.50? Or the tricompax c.12 for under $64? :shock:

197503p2.jpg

Holy crap! :o

Are you sure that wasn't a 70'S replica scam site? :D

True that there is no way of knowing what will become the must have for collectors in the future, which is why you are always happiest collecting what makes you happy. When I was getting these catalogs was about the same time I bought my GMT 1675, and I thought I was insane to buy a used watch for $1400. If I were to know the future value of these watches then, I would have bought more and found a way to pay for them!

Still, I think that the Rolex sport models have increased head and shoulders above others, even considering the higher cost of things today. Example, back in 1998 or so, I could have bought a used Omega Speedmaster Moon in good clean condition and running for about $700. Now, about 10 years later the going rate for a speedy moon is between $1500 - $2000 depending on age and condition, more expensive for a "pre-moon" or a "straight lug" case speedy, but they command higher due to rarity. So, the speedys have a little more than doubled in ten years, but a Tudor chrono greatly exceeds this figure as well as most other Rolex sport models. Of course, Omega still makes the speedy moon, and they are very common and not as scarse as some Rollies and Tudis and that is a factor as well. I also notice that the dress watches in those scans were sometimes more expensive than the sport models, now its just the opposite giving a great idea of what collectors are after.

Likewise, there are many examples of collectible watches that have much in common to Rolex that do not share the same price increase. Many different manufacturers used movements like the V7734, V7733, V72, V72C, ElPrimero, etc., but the more recognizable names increase in value exponentially it seems.

So whats it gonna be for the future folks? What affordable and interesting timepeices will explode in value in the future? I'm not talking about the many high end pieces available today that are intended to be high dollar collectibles out of the box, but rather the "sleepers" of the future. Somehow, it does not seem possible to experience watches grown in value like the ones from 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago. Much like classic cars, it seems that no matter how sporty or technically advanced cars are today, we will likely never realize modern cars age like vintage wine like a '57 Chevy, or '65 Mustang.

I dunno, I'm just having a good time rambling on.

Cheers B)

Yes, things have changed quite a bit.... I remember my gen 1680 redletter Sub which I bought used in New York in 1984. I paid a whopping 400$ back then. As this is a rep forum, I might add that over the years, that watch went to Rolex twice for service and yes, it was really gen. About ten years ago, I (the idiot) unfortunately traded that watch for another piece, so I'm in line for the time machine...