When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

watchwinders

p-lund

I dont see how the price for watch winders is justified. Its a little motor that goes around and around in an extremely cheap wooden box or plastic leather box.

A HUNDRED ++ BUX??

It's time for the Rep Collectors to start carrying $25 watch winders. $40 for a 3-slot winder. THAT is reasonable.

EDIT: I see that I've magically lost my self-renewing Platinum account again.

Edited by Jkay

As I said over home: www.acetimer.com

Only way to go. A 25 dollar CN made timer would last about a month!

I don't mean a rip-off watch winder for $25 .. I mean a fairly priced watch winder. An analog wall clock motor runs for years on AC or battery power. Dang ... I wonder how much surplus wall clocks from public schools cost :)

I for one was looking at buying a display case, but I ended up buying a "cheap" chinese made display case and winder on eBay. The one I got is about $100, winds 8 watches on 4 turntables and has 4 more display slots.

Yes it made cheaply, pressed wood with burlwood veneer, and plexiglass windows for the display, but hey, it works. I've had this now for about 3-4 months, and still works fine. No noisy motors or anything like that. It winds the watches for about 2 minutes clockwise, then 2 minutes counter-clockwise, then another 2 minutes clockwise. It does this every few hours, I'm not sure of the interval (I haven't sat there to time it).

Anyway, the only thing I found, is that some watches (not all) were not winding properly, so they would stop randomly, then restart. Apparently this has something to do with the angle turntables are at. They are a bit too flat, (about 15-20 degrees off the horizontal). After I propped the back of the case up to increase the angle by another 20-25 degrees, now all the watches are staying wound.

Here is the one I got. Just a word of warning: this box is HUGE !!. You might want to consider a smaller version with less turntables.

8+4 Watch Winder on eBay

Edited by Dudemeister

I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Double-automatic-watch-winder-SETTING/dp/B001XTVLY6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1252993509&sr=8-2

It's the best value and fit that I've found. They have multiple rotation settings, they're quiet, and they hold the watches vertically, so they don't run into the angle problem dudemeister outlined. To give you an idea of reliability; I've owned 4 in the past 2.5 years, one of them has failed.

I use these: http://www.amazon.com/Double-automatic-watch-winder-SETTING/dp/B001XTVLY6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1252993509&sr=8-2

It's the best value and fit that I've found. They have multiple rotation settings, they're quiet, and they hold the watches vertically, so they don't run into the angle problem dudemeister outlined. To give you an idea of reliability; I've owned 4 in the past 2.5 years, one of them has failed.

I have a couple of these bought a few months ago they seem fine, heavier watches sometimes get a bit noisy as they turn.

i dont know if they have changed but I originally paid $1200 for a 3 watch orbita, supposedly "THE BEST" i used it somewhat, then someone gave me a used 4 watch steinhausen. i know was only about, 2-300 yet it was quieter, had more features, ie: forward/reverse, and threw off much less heat, in fact if anyone wants a laminated blond wood, 3 watch orbita. let me know