When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Replica Noob

Guest OrenG

There's different techniques for reluming the pearls. Some just say get the watchmaterial pearl and leave it at that but I don't think there is one for the ceramic bezel series of Rolexes. I don't think I've read of any pearl lume suggestions for the thicker ceramic bezel pearls come to think of it.

Essentially...just applying lume on top of the existing pearl. A bit hard on these ones though, because the newer style (ceramic bezels) have the lume spread across the whole frame instead of being a "zit" in the middle of the tiny pearl cup which can be modded with more lume and a clear coat.

It sounds like you're getting a plan of attack. Good luck.

Dial hour markers and minute/hour/second hands are relumed by painting the surface with lume material, usually Superluminova. It costs about $150 for a watch like that.

But lume is only important at night, if you wear your watch to bed. I don't recommend wearing a gold-plated watch that much. Take it off at the end of the day and clean it to remove the oils and acids from your skin. That's what eats at the plating. You've got the best plating with Josh, but still, you don't want to push things.

Unless you just like your watch to lume and have the $.

I owned this one for about a year:

DSCF0502_DXO.jpg

I bought it from Josh:

http://www.jpc8118.com/rolex-submariner-c-55_64.html

He has a number of full gold Subs. The newer ones are on the first page.

Is this the newer model or the older one? I think I'd rather have the set in pearl and sacrifice the bigger case then the one glued on top of the bezel and have it knocked off or something.

Although, if the bezel is "standard" sized compared to the normal size rep, then I could replace it with a bezel that has an "innie" pearl.

I'm going to pay the 50$ waterproof testing and waterproofing he has on his site so I can wash the entire watch gently in water and swim with it.

I think a watch that lumes brightly is necessary for the early morning hours as well as the late nights.

I'm more or less buying this for several major reasons. One being I love automatic movements, or any mechanical movement for that matter. I don't know about the rest of you but seeing the escapement move and the rest of the gears turn is fascinating.

Edited by OrenG

The last pic above is of the older non-ceramic one. You can leave the lume dot as is...and see if it bugs you, depending on how the one you get is. The problem is QC on these is all over the place so some are nicely filled in, others not. The big difference on gens is that they have a tiny sapphire crystal over the lume material which the rep factories DON'T apply.

The Watchmaterial pearl has it. Whether it's worth it to spend the money on the Watchmaterial is up to you. If it's your first rep, I wouldn't bother. Get what you get...see if it bugs you. If not...forget about it. People who complain about such things are Watch Idiot Savants...you may become one...but if you're not there yet...forget about it.

As well...forget about Josh's waterproofing service. Don't trust this. They may not do anything. You would be best served having the testing done when you get the watch by a local person who can do testing. They'll likely take your money and not do anything...read the info on my Noob Guide or search for it here. It's generally considered a money grab scam.

Good luck. It sounds like you're having fun with the decisions and the queries and that's what matters.

A gold plated replica really shouldn't go in the water. Certainly not saltwater and probably not even a pool with chemicals in it. You might be OK washing the dishes if you have it checked for WR. If you want a watch for swimming, etc, get an SS Sub or something like that. I have a Zodiac dive watch that I put a TT oyster band on and went wadefishing in the saltwater with it. The gold on the band was gone in no time. Luckily the watch itself did fine. Don't even wear a gold plated rep to the gym- sweat and oils from your skin....

These gold plated watches are really just for show- the movies, the concert, dinner at eight... And probably not everyday wear. Also, there's no display back on these Rolex reps- you can't see the movement w/o removing the case back.

Regarding your comment on Pro Watch Polo's watch vs Perfect Clones ... they are identical. One simply has a bad camera and the other has a slightly better camera. The color balance is off in those pictures. They both sell standard Chinese upper scale factory reps. To say one looks bad ... they are most likely from the exact same place.

Altho I agree that Josh's photographer should have chosen a watch WITHOUT the bezel about to fall OFF to take a picture of LOLOL.

So I must have double posted and this question was ignored. With the new GMT sized Subs, can I use a "standard" sized Sub bezel? I don't like the pearl poking out.

I checked out prowatch-polo and he has a similar watch but it doesn't come with a metal bracelet.

It seems with this sub they took the GMT bezel, put the sub numbers on it but didn't re-size the pearl arrow and just glued a pearl on top.

1.jpg

Compared to Lu's from Prowatch-polo

20081026223717310.jpg

They both look the same...just different angles. These are the ceramic series Pro-Hunters. Consider the Sinn U1 and U2 too...Ti case...slick!!

Look closely at the bezel pearl. Josh's has the pearl in the center and it's not set in, while Lu's is overlapping the arrow/pointer/(insert jargon term here) and is almost flush with the bezel.

Edited by OrenG

I forgot this last little piece. Once I get the watch, I plan on modifying things for look as well as functionality. Once decorative mod is to I suppose replace the silver edged dial markers with gold edged dial markers to fit in with the grand scheme of things.

How would I preform such a mod? I can't seem to find a place that sells dial markers; so I suppose I would have to somehow remove them from a replacement dial?

Bezel fonts different too...as is the rehaut and the date font...case is different. My bad. It looks like the Pro-Watch took the old case and PVD'd it instead of using the newer thick CG case.

Finding bezel markers will be next to impossible. If you want to go down that path it will be labour intensive to remove them and remount and prone to lots of error potential. Anything can be done...it's time and effort that's the issue. Most people would just get a new dial for between $20-50 for a rep dial that's standard in availability and the sky's the limit for the rarer stuff or gen.

Bezel fonts different too...as is the rehaut and the date font...case is different. My bad. It looks like the Pro-Watch took the old case and PVD'd it instead of using the newer thick CG case.

Finding bezel markers will be next to impossible. If you want to go down that path it will be labour intensive to remove them and remount and prone to lots of error potential. Anything can be done...it's time and effort that's the issue. Most people would just get a new dial for between $20-50 for a rep dial that's standard in availability and the sky's the limit for the rarer stuff or gen.

Will a standard Sub bezel fit the newer CG case?

I couldn't tell you for sure but I don't think so. I THINK I remember something about the bezel construction being different.

I see, so I'll need to purchase an aftermarket SS bezel insert, that should fit right?

I don't think I was too clear when saying that I want to put in a new insert, not a whole new bezel.

Edited by OrenG

A gold plated replica really shouldn't go in the water. Certainly not saltwater and probably not even a pool with chemicals in it. You might be OK washing the dishes if you have it checked for WR. If you want a watch for swimming, etc, get an SS Sub or something like that. I have a Zodiac dive watch that I put a TT oyster band on and went wadefishing in the saltwater with it. The gold on the band was gone in no time. Luckily the watch itself did fine. Don't even wear a gold plated rep to the gym- sweat and oils from your skin....

These gold plated watches are really just for show- the movies, the concert, dinner at eight... And probably not everyday wear. Also, there's no display back on these Rolex reps- you can't see the movement w/o removing the case back.

I really like the mixture of gold and black, if I somehow purchase solid gold center links for the oyster band, would that be safe to swim with?

Hi Oren.

I really like the mixture of gold and black, if I somehow purchase solid gold center links for the oyster band, would that be safe to swim with?

This is just another noob question. Who do you think is going to guarantee it's safe to swim? Or even have an opinion?

All of your questions have already been answered to the extent you are going to get them answered here. You are well off into the hypothetical without understanding that there is more risk in buying a rep watch rather than one from an AD. You have had a lot of good advice but still seem to be lost in space.

Posting pictures of watches from various dealers means nothing here. We already know that they are a moving target and I think that you have been told that already. The only trustworthy pictures are from trusted members who have posted something they have actually purchased.

I've already given you the advice you asked for as to a dealer. You will not be dealing with Sears, JC Penny, etc. but will be buying an illegal counterfeit watch. That's what this is all about, and you have to accept that to continue. If you don't have the money to risk on a replica, don't do it.

Decide which watch you want and then ask for advice as to where to buy it, if you don't like my suggestion. Then buy it.

I agree with Carl. Oren, you're over-thinking the whole damn thing. Go buy a friggin watch. If you don't like it, buy another one and another one till you find one you like. But beware, there is no perfect rep. If you can't afford it, buy an Invicta and go swimming.

And report back to us in a couple of weeks when you've bought a watch. Capice?