When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What was the first rep you ever saw ?

Deepseadweller

Mine was a TT Rolex Day-Date. 10 years later, the QUARTZ movement was still going strong, but the gold looked like faded dog [censored] on moldy cardboard. I tossed it...and now feel bad as it would have been a good benchmark.

Same here Toad. I picked up my Quartz daydate one morning from one of the daily vendors at Union Station. I actually got a lot of comments on that watch initially, then the gold wore off very quickly. If I still had it today I would have polished of all the gold and kept it for sentimental value, but I had soon moved on to better watches, and the Rolex is in the trash somewhere.

I'm originally from NY. I discovered reps in the 90's. Which leads me to my TAG ownership over the past 14 years.

My 1995 rep next to my 2002 rep.

SDC12364.jpg

SDC12367.jpg

SDC12369.jpg

SDC12370.jpg

another 7 years later (present day) I think I deserved a gen for putting up with those!

DSC0046411.jpg

What a trip down memory lane :) Thanks for sharing :good:

Back in the 1970's my parents brought me a Piaget Polo rep back from Mexico. It was not a very good rep compared with todays reps. From 10 feet it was ok but at close range it did not look like the real thing. The bracelet was very thin which was unlike the gen which had individual links like small thick bricks. I was very proud of that watch even though I was called on it more than a few times. How many teenagers could afford a 20K watch? None in my middle class neighborhood. I got to enjoy it for a couple of months until the gold wore off. I did not get another rep until I discovered RWG a few years ago.

camel.jpg

I saw many at the time, but this^ and a Tag, similar to P4GTR's above, were the two I bought on the streets of Lombok in '96.

The Camel has done really well. Radioactive lumed dial. Jewellers are happy to work on it and always comment on the high quality of quartz movement. The tag however is completely cancered.

It was 1989, and in the UK the endowment mortgage and selling personal pensions were big, big business. Cue me answering the phone one evening...

"Good stuff, chap, yeah, how would you like it if I told you that the government would give you a brand new chart CD every WEEK if you just sign a small piece of paper?!"

I pondered this for a moment. Being 21, and this being a mate who I trusted, I told him that it sounded unbelievable.

"Well it's not! I will be round in a minute and sort it out for you. Good stuff."

With a screeching of tyres, Mikes XR4x4 appeared in the drive of my parents house. Mike unfolds his 6'5" frame from the car and, adjusting his horn-rimmed Calvin Klein glasses gives me a winning smile.

"Wow" I said, running an eye over the black Sierra and the exclusive red stickers on its A panels. "Is that a Turbo-Technics?"

"Of course" says Mike, flicking out his wrist to shake my hand and revealing a shiny gold watch.

(I later found out his car was in the garage just long enough to have the stickers put on the car).

"Wow, A Rolex!" I said, eyeing the flashy gold watch on his wrist. "My brother has one, but his is only stainless steel. And hey! Yours ticks, my brothers doesn't."

"Yeah, this is one of their ones that are usually worn by Presidents." Mike explained, uncosciously picking one of the many spots on his face. "Stick with me, Robsa, and you will be able to get your own one in a year from now.... now, have you got life assurance?"

"Errr..."

I saw that watch a year later when Mike had upgraded to an Esprit Turbo and was probably wearing a real one. He had sold it to a mutual friend (Along with life assurance and a