When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Info on ETA movements

preacher62

Just wanted to ask...is the watch company in Guangzhou, China, that manufactures pretty good movements a Swiss owned ETA factory or are the movements just copies? I have heard that the Swatch Group actually owns a manufacturing facility in Guangzhou. I have four 2824-2 type movements and two 2836-2 type movements that came from that factory and, with the exception of one, they have all been satisfactory movements.

MT

I'm familiar with:

1. Tiajin Seagull

2. Nanning

3. Hangzhou

Seagull makes a 2824-2 copy- ST-21, as does Hangzhou

Here's a link from watchuseek:

http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=746

I don't know if the ETA factory in China is in Guangzhou or not- I couldn't track it down- maybe not on the internet- esp. since ETA is stopping the sale of ebauches.

I'm not sure they "had" a factory in GZ but there was one in Hongkong for sure (which is very near GZ) but I'm definate they had an office there or resellers based in GZ. I say "had" because ETA like Aligoat said is stop selling "ebauches" which means unfinished (meaning non decorated) ETA movements, in the past they did sell them. But rapidly is the COPY ETA (nothing to do with ETA, except that it looks and feels and moves, and is branded like an ETA movement -however is not made by "swatch group company -ETA- is taking over the markets and in the replica's.) Only a few tales to differiate them and we do this for our clients when they order GEN ETA!!

Thanks for responses. Some of these movements are very nearly identical to ETA. I have ordered from Otto Frei, reversing wheels, bridge screws, other ETA parts and they have always fit perfectly. Others have not had this experience. I'm just not too concerned about the copies. I'm just concerned about the assembly process and primarily the cleanlines of the factory/home, and the care given to lubrication. I'm getting good service from the ones that I have bought from the bay.

I have a 2836-2 coming for my Noobmariner, from Chris. In the pic on eBay the reversing wheels had lots of holes. We'll see if the one I get has lots of holes, as well. This is one of the tell-tales.

Edited by preacher62

Yes this is one of the tell-tales (as I mentioned as well in my pic tutorial), and also the big silver wheel is ALWAYS (in my experience every since the COPY ETA come out) is polished, while the gen it is brushed... the wheel at approx 1 oclock... and some other tales... i made a pic tutorial about a year ago how to differiate between them in my section. We are one of the few that open their caseback to double verify and guarantee the gen ETA movement (if ordered).

Edited by EuroTimez