When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Budget DSSD review - lots of pix, modems beware...

jmb

I have just received the latest fruits of my soon to end experiment into unauthorized

dealers to see if there are really any that can deliver what is promised. This

DSSD came from a seller who I was not real happy with on my first purchase

but admitted their mistake and agreed to send me whatever else I wanted

(at a substantial discount) in order to make amends. I chose a Deep Sea/Sea

Dweller as I didn't have one and I really have not paid that much attention to

them.

The example I received came with the usual rep Rolex box, passport holder,

hanging tag, and other literature. One of these days I'm going to figure out

why every rep box seems to come with a Datejust manual! Although I have

not opened it up yet it "seems" to be very well made, nicely finished, and feels

quite substantial at 156 gm, 14.92 mm thick, bezel diameter of 42.45 mm,

and a crystal diameter of around 31.59. The only glaring flaws that my

very untrained eye can see is that the crown needs to be chucked in the

lathe and reshaped a bit, and the bezel and hour markers don't quite line up

so I'm thinking the bezel assembly was installed a little off. Another flaw is

that it does not have the correct clasp I have seen on the higher priced reps,

but it might be correct for the model this is based on.

This particular example had a "list" price of USD $63.60 plus EMS shipping

which put it into the "mid-range" of this sellers prices for DSSD reps. Just

from looking at on-line pictures of other reps this seems to be a very good

deal as I think it compares favorably to copies costing quite a bit more than

this.

Here are a few hi-res pics for your critique and brutal appraisel:

dssd%20front%201.JPG

dssd%20front%202.JPG

dssd%20front%203.JPG

dssd%20front%204.JPG

dssd%20front%205.JPG

dssd%20front%206.JPG

You can see how the bezel is not indexed properly in this shot:

dssd%20front%207.JPG

dssd%20back%201.JPG

Someday I want someone to explain to me why it seems like most low priced

reps have a Submariner sticker on the back!!!

dssd%20back%202.JPG

dssd%20clasp%201.JPG

dssd%20clasp%202.JPG

dssd%20clasp%203.JPG

dssd%20left%201.JPG

dssd%20right%201.JPG

dssd%20right%202.JPG

C'mon, don't be shy, just tear it up - maybe some of the stuff will be easy to fix. :-p

Edited by jmb

Brutally honest, you say... :Jumpy:

Well...

In terms of flaws in replication:

The bezel insert isn't ceramic, and, as you point out, not correctly indexed...

The clasp isn't a glide-lock clasp...

The caseback is also not correct for that model...

In terms of viewing it 'as a watch':

You've got what looks like a very nice watch :good: Maxi dial and hands, correctly spelled and crisply printed dial printing. It might not be 1:1 perfect, but it's certainly a nice watch in its own right, and not an unreasonable price either :) Wear it well, my friend :victory:

Of course, the flaws in replication which I mentioned above, might all be correctable with replacement parts :)

I think I'll do a bit of research into removing and re-setting the bezel. Do all DSSD (current and past) utilize a ceramic insert?

Yes, the ceramic insert is one of the key features of the DSSD. The method I use to remove a bezel insert, is to remove the caseback, remove the movement, push out the crystal, and then very gently raise up the inner edge of the insert with a thumbnail (so as not to damage it incase you'd want to use it again)

To be honest, I'd be happy to wear the watch as it is, because only someone who knows the details of the genuine watch would be able to identify it as a fake 'by sight' (although of course, anyone seeing 'Rolex' on the dial will get immediately suspicious :lol: ) Another thing which I actually quite like the look of, is the case looks to be thinner than on other DSSD reps (but again, I'd say that's a good thing, as I think the DSSD looks too chunky :lol: )

Yes, what TJ said, plus the bracelet is from another Rolex .. the polished mid links are wrong, it should be all brushed with polished sides. The DSSD only premiered in 2008, so there is no "Older Model" that this could be representing. The HE valve is too small, and it's bead-blasted instead of polished .. the clasp looks like it's a glide lock but it's just cosmetic.

This is basically a fantasy watch .. parts from other models with a rehaut and dial from DSSD .. It's not ugly .. but it's nowhere close to a DSSD.

Enjoy it! There's nothing stopping it from telling the time for you!

I feel bad for saying this, but he did ask for brutal honesty .. I feel this is akin to a "Canal Street" quality replica, and is probably sold for $25 at stalls in Gz.

It does have a nice dial, tho, as TJ says .. and you did get a box!!

I'd have to disagree there, those kind of reps really do have chrome plated brass cases, but I'd be willing to bet that this watch is a solid SS case :) In terms of quality, I would say it is easily in the same league as the watches which 'forum trusted' dealers sell in the $108 range. In terms of replication, no, it's not great, but, and this is a big but, it is clear which watch it is supposed to be, rather than a total fantasy model, and, chances are, the things like the insert and bracelet could be replaced, to bring it closer to the true DSSD specifications :)

As mentioned before, the

I think for the money, I would go for the DSSD Lite from Andrew/Josh or similar. It costs 2x as much at around $128 + shipping, but has the ceramic, better datefont, proper bracelet, Ti caseback, blue lume, etc.

As TJ said, as a watch on its own, it is fine for the basic design. It misses out on a lot of the small details that make a higher end rep...but, at the price, high accuracy can't be expected.

If you're looking for something that is close to a gen, the Lite version at 2x the price I think would be better value.

The watch is now without it's "Submariner" green sticker - I had to draw the line somewhere...

This was part of my soon to conclude experiment to see just what one could expect for the smallest of outlays. I have spent as little as $24 plus shipping for a "Daytona" (kinda disappointing except for a really nice band) to this being the "costliest" piece. I have satisfied my curiosity and I'm quite happy with my $43 Submariner which I had been wearing as my "beater" reserving my Noobmariner for more "formal" occasions! ;-) This may be my new "beater" and if I get it too close to the lathe jaws (when spinning), like I have with a few previous watches, no biggie! I'm hell on watch crystals but they have probably keps my wrist from getting dinged a few times...

Thanks, Toad, I'm half tempted to put a blue Submariner dial in it and really pi$$ people off! I like to have fun, some people are just too serious. ;-)