When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

1665 MBW "upgrade" help

vortx

Ok. After over 3 years of daily use, my mbw 1665 tube threads has worn off, and I can't screw down the crown:(

So I was wondering if there was tutorials on how to (searched up and down all yesterday):

1: Install a new (gen/aftermarket) tube and crown

2: Drill lugholes, and what springbars to buy

Cheers

If you are careful, you can drill lug holes with a hand drill, by hand (that is how I do it). And I have done a couple of cases without removing the movement or crystal, but I would not recommend doing that for an important watch since you increase the likelihood of damage.

I would still recommend that you read the pinned guides in the Watch Repair forum.

Could be the shoes...most likely it's having drilled through my finger once (drilling a sheet metal hole, while holding it together...)I am a bit gun shy when it comes to hand holding and drilling.

This one case was the hardest metal I have ever seen, it could barely be cut with a dremel cut off saw, maybe it was 914 or something, whatever it was, it took a nice shine when all done.

I guess vortx didn't find our reply's of any value or use since he's not made one reply...

You may be right about that. Another happy RWG customer. :)

Back to the topic at hand Freddy, we had a great summer, but as always it seems to be too short and not warm enough. So much for global warming...

Yes, the global warming craze seems to have cooled off a bit. :bangin:

Did you get in alot of traveling? I seem to remember you guys had quite an interesting road trip last summer. :whistling:

Sorry for being late on reply (have been reading old posts, shopping for tools and taking care of an ill lady, forgot to check back on my original post)!

I found your tips very helpful. A bit embarrased to "discover" the knowledge base just now. I narrowed all my searches to the "rolex section"...

I have ordered several tools for the job and am determined to learn how to do these things. I also been around the local hardware stores shopping a vice, drill press, tapping tool, cutting fluid.

There is one post I remember reading a long time ago from The Zigmeister. It was about replacing rep tube and crown with gen/aftermarket. But the link is unavailable.

A couple of questions remain:

Is this the correct tap? Tap Individual, Bergeon 30063B2 Size Ø3.00mm ref. T6459 from cousins (http://www.cousinsuk.com/catalog/6/0/1312/2468.aspx)

And where do I source aftermarket crown and tube?:)

Thanks very much for your help!