When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Modding a Sinn U2

chefcook

Hello everybody,

as I stated before I think the copper sulfate capsule flaw of the rep Sinn U2 is fixable.

Now here is the proof, unfortunately with bad mobile phone pics.

The dial back after carefully enlarging the hole for the dot the factory put on the dial with a broach:

4pwp35.jpg

And the other side:

oiu4n4.jpg

Countersink the hole on the back to make the new capsule fit better:

2v81ron.jpg

I used the dot that came on the dial as new capsule after painting it light blue. Glued on dot:

i5y6p1.jpg

The dial alone:

axcsqb.jpg

And in the watch case:

2uihmw6.jpg

Dial, hands and bezel are now off to the Ziggmeister for a professional relume with Superluminova C1. In the meantime I will service the movement and put a gen ETA datewheel on it. The rep datewheels white text is not white enough imo.

The U2 is great. The GMT function is very comfortable, the watch wears great and looks very good. Actually I got a lot more compliments on it than I thought. Actually I did not think that anyone will notice it. Maybe German watches are more popular than I thought here in Germany... And the best is: All required mods are cheap and can be done easily.

EDIT Before I forget mentioning: The movement spacer ring has to be modified to work with the capsule under the dial. But that is not a big task either...

• 4 weeks later...