When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT IIC V1

Bark3rd

This has been a great watch I bought from another member here, its the CHS version. Unfortunately the tiny white paper triangle that sits inside the hour marker has come unglued and is loose inside the crystal. I took the watch to a local watchsmith who was afraid to pull the crown tube out and refused the job. Im no watch mechanic, any ideas for this repair or is it a goner? No way will I wear it as is, looks bad.

It's not super hard to remove the movement/dial assembly and once you get that out you may stand a pretty good chance of being able to glue it back into place as long as you have some fine tweezers and good magnification... But, if you don't have what I would consider average manual dexterity/ability then maybe look for another repairman as I don't see why the tube would need to come out...

Incredibly, the exact same thing (triangle piece fell out of my CHS) just happened to me 15 minutes ago!!!!!!!!

I was cleaning the watch & accidentally dropped it 2 inches onto the table, which caused the triangle to pop out & land between the dial & second hand, stopping the watch.

All your watchmaker needs to do is remove the caseback, remove the 2 screws/tabs that secure the movement into the case, remove the crown/stem & then remove the movement/dial assembly from the case. I used GC Crystal Cement, which every watchmaker should have on his bench, to glue the triangle back in place. If your local watchsmith is hesitant to perform this simple task, I would take your business to another watchmaker.

• 1 year later...

Back from the dead! It is funny how I gravitate away from interest here, wear mostly gens for a year or so, then come back. I just enjoy the subject of reps; for some reason I gravitate towards things that most people know nothing about.

I also had my favorite gen, a Bulgari Scuba as well as my favorite rep, a retro GMT stolen (or lost-hate it when you dont know for sure) so I'm back on the market for something new. Thinking about buying a vintage gen Pepsi GMT or a Breitling Emergency. These are my top 2 choices.

Anyway, I came accross the aforementioned GMTC the other day and I want to start wearing it again. I think I can handle taking it apart based on the steps you guys outlined (I mean heck, I got a 1967 Evinrude that had been sitting for 30 years to run this weekend, dont see why I couldnt take a watch apart).

One more question: does the CHS movement present any special challenges to this task? Based on what Ive read about it you would think rubber bands and chewing gum will come flying out when I mess with it.

As long as you don't damage the wheels that the hands are installed on you're fine. The tricky thing is that it seems sometimes the tube pulls out of the gear when you go after it with the hands remover.

Honestly, if it were me I'd consider trying not removing the dial/hands first.