When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Everythingape's Eclectic Collection

Everythingape

Ok, here they are, my pride and intense joys.

post-2568-1156755090_thumb.jpg

On the left is my Glashütte Karee Original No 125 with an automatic movement that stops when you touch the watch.

Next to that is my Overboosted SMP GMT with the customized, aligned and superglued bezel insert.

Just touching that is my grandfather's old gen Certina DS with the pearl dial and gold hands and markers, sporting a 17jewel 25-66 movement and a cool turtle on the back cover. The hands fell off back in 96 during a D.D.E concert (but I can tell time by looking at the sun, so it's ok).

Moving on, above the Cert we have the gen Pulsar Chronograph something with a Seiko something movement, the sapphire broke on the tiles of a pool in Turkey(I suspect plain old glass).

Below the Certina is a Breitling Chrono quartz, bought in Thailand some time around 2003.. Great watch, but the bracelet falls off too often.

To the right of that we have the Amundsen Veritas approved chrono, I've had it since 1998, but the bracelet broke a few years ago. This was my favourite.

Above it are two SMP 007 eds. None in perfect working condition right now.. or ever.

After those we have the Glashütte karee again, this time with a black dial and an even less working automatic movement and a real afghan foreskin strap.

And ah yes, le "Pièce de résistance" my Timex Magnum Indiglo 30m waterproof (though the case says 200), and shock resistant diver's watch, wearing a handsome matching rubber strap with a nickle buckle. The name "indiglo" says it all.. This watch will blind you if you press the "light" button, so it comes with a warning.

Other than that there are various dials and stuff, most of it has sentimental value.... Most of it I don't know the name of.

Before you all get all ahoo and PM me begging to buy my Timex Magnum Indiglo I can assure it is not for sale at any price, trade or service..

Thanks for looking, and may St.Eligius (Patron saint of watch makers) watch over you.

Regards -EverythingApe-

Edited by Everythingape

Well, the Breitling and the Amundsen are just about telling the same time as the SMP, so they work too... I'm gonna get a new bracelet for the Amundsen.

I'm happy I remembered to remove the M&Ms and cough drops from the photo though.

BTW, what would you guys think of a digital "Franken-Timex" with Breitling housing, SMP bezel and and a faux Glashütte tourbillon? Imagine the indiglo through that! Epic!

Edited by Everythingape

I hesitate to ask... how did you find that the Uber-Timex (Magnum) is indeed a paltry 30m rather than the case-advertized 200?

I may have to incorporate this into my testing scheme.

Well, I read it on the watch itself.. The housing says 30 and the strap 200.. But being a practical kinda man, and a man of the sea (12 years old at the time), I decided to test it out the right way. I removed all water sensitive details of the Timex Magnum Indiglo, then I tied it to a 10 meter long wire.. I then proceeded to place it in the sea off my ancestral island.. I let the line run over the side, hoping there were no codfish near. After this I pulled it back up and inspected the watch without opening it (for continuity purposes). I saw no water so I went home. The day after I did the same thing with a 20 meter wire, same result, no water, so I went home. The day after I put it on a 30 meter wire, and when I pulled it back aboard I saw water in the watch! I thus concluded it was 30m WR ..I was kinda happy about this, as it would take a lot of days and wire to get all the way to 200meters or more..

BTW, I told my father about this, and he frowned a little. He asked me where I had done the tests, and I told him it was like half a cable outside the south harbour. ..he laughed a little and told me the water is only 7-8 meters deep there.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, after spending about 6 weeks here, I've ended up with 6 watches bought from dealers and members on this friendly forum.. One watch a week can't be too bad.. if I keep this pace up I'll be showing off 52 watches come august next year! ;)

I do have a problem I know some of you envy me; in the PAM 192 I have found the watch I REALLY wanted.. There's just no watch I really crave now. (Of the reasonably priced ones of course.) I am no fan of Rolex, and Linder told me IWC Portuguese is for girls.. or something to that effect.. ^_^

I would still love a nice shiny dress watch like the laureus or something like that. I guess I'll keep looking..

I really think this Fantasy IWC watch looks great, even with the fake tourbillon. I'd like to have it with a better movement though..

Anyway, thanks for putting all your knowledge and tips out there, I really have learned a lot the 6 weeks I have been here!

Here's a photo of 4 of the 6 reps I have bought so far. A PAM 250 is coming, and my girlfriend is off with my Tag Heuer Link

PAM 192

PAM 111h

PO Chrono

SMP GMT

118796-22076.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
omg :lol:

I just saw this.. you're going to get us both kicked out :lol:

fantastic - and, Grape - 6 weeks is very impressive to get your collection into a state of content. And you appear a quick study as you have gotten yourself some fantastic reps to start off.

took me much longer to learn and trial and error :)

fact is, i was about there last fall when i had to cut off my spending of "disposable income"

but, some things fell my way this fall and i was able to sell some stuff and put together a collection i am happy with.

And it will be perfect as soon as i get my mods done :)

Then, comes Spaceballs the Sequal "the search for more money" :)

Good start - nice work

Thankee Pho!

I'd be ripped off senseless if it had not been for this place.. I owe chatting with swedish Marcus a big thanks for the Panerai interest as he pointed me towards the 111h and the 192.

Having bought these watches, I've lost a little interest in buying more, now it's more enjoying them, getting a few decent straps and looking forward to maintaining them.. My girlfriend is getting annoyed hearing "Oh btw, a new Panerai will be showing up in the mail in a few days, mind picking it up?" She loves the 111h though! I might have to buy a 40mm pam for her..

@Linder, sorry man! I just needed justification! ;)

Thankee Pho!

I'd be ripped off senseless if it had not been for this place.. I owe chatting with swedish Marcus a big thanks for the Panerai interest as he pointed me towards the 111h and the 192.

Having bought these watches, I've lost a little interest in buying more, now it's more enjoying them, getting a few decent straps and looking forward to maintaining them.. My girlfriend is getting annoyed hearing "Oh btw, a new Panerai will be showing up in the mail in a few days, mind picking it up?" She loves the 111h though! I might have to buy a 40mm pam for her..

@Linder, sorry man! I just needed justification! ;)

I gotta tell you, my wife, is like ok - whatever, on most of my watches especially when she sees them on the computer.

But when i got my 111 - she LOVED it, and was like, oh i want one like that. I got her the 50. Which is pictured in my sig. - She has a very very tiny wrist, but loves this watch adn loves to wear it.

The only other time that has happened is when i got my gen corum - she then wanted one - also, :) pics in the sig.

But - go for it. - don has a nice selection of xtra short straps that women will like for good prices http://www.homestead.com/rlx/DON6.html

Well, I asked her, and she told me she doesn't want a 40mm, she wants a big one.. (Yes, I wondered about the double entendre myself)

I should buy her a 47mm! ..but then she'll be off with my 111h..

Anyway: My sash5 Panerai 250 Daylight is home with its brothers..

131886-18964.jpg

131886-18965.jpg

• 4 weeks later...