When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 001Bs and 002

l3x

Like to share some frankens I built/modded. To me there's nothing like old school sausage dial with closed case backs :)

I love the simpleness and hardiness of the 6497. I expect these guys to run for a long time and I've learned the skills to keep these guys ticking.

It took me quite a while to accumulate all the parts I needed. My original goal was to build one 001 and one 002. But in trying to get all the parts I ended up picking some duplicate items. Next thing you know, I'm trying to gather up the parts to complete the duplicate ones as well. But now I can finally call these projects complete.

First up 001Bs...

01B.jpg

01Bs.jpg

01B (Left)

• Gen dial
  • Gen hands
  • Jimmy Fu case
  • Jimmy Fu crown guard
  • T48 crown
  • AR removed sapphire
  • Hamilton 892 movement with upgraded cp and hour wheel
  • Correct thick B series case back

01B_2 (Middle)

• Gen dial
    • Gen crown guard
    • DSN C3 handset
    • Jimmy Fu case
    • T48 crown
    • AR removed sapphire
    • Swiss 6497 from Otto Frei with upgraded cp and hour wheel

01B_3 (Right)

• Gen dial
      • Gen hands
      • Jimmy Fu case
      • Modded rep crown guard with latch from V crown guard
      • T48 crown
      • Sapphire with K2222 double AR (loving the double AR)
      • Asian engraved 6497 with upgrade cp and hour wheel (runs urprisingly better than all my swiss)

Next up 002s...

02.jpg

02s2.jpg

02s.jpg

PVD 02D (Left)

• Fine pics PVD (supposedly PVD by the same factory used by Panerai - pencil gray color)
        • Gen dial
        • Gen hands
        • Rep case
        • Jimmy Fu crown guard
        • Palp crown
        • AR removed sapphire
        • Swiss 6497 from otto frei with upgrade cp and hour wheel
        • Correct DSN D series case back

This one was bought as is and needed some loving. I wanted to try a PVD in my collection. I must admit I am not a PVD guy. This watch was picked up from a member. However, after I purchased I found it wasn't perfect. The movement was a cheapo movement with a broken stem stuck inside it. I ended up swapping out the movement, upgraded the cp and hour wheel, and reassembled.

02D (Middle)

[*]Gen dial

[*]DSN C3 handset

[*]DSN D series case

[*]Gen crownguard (modded)

[*]Palp crown

[*]AR removed sapphire

[*]Swiss 6497 from otto frei with upgrade cp and hour wheel

[*]Correct DSN D series case back

02C (Right)

[*]Gen C series Caseset (case, crown guard, crown, case back, crystal with gen AR)

[*]Gen dial

[*]Gen hands

[*]Soprod ETA 6497 movement

Big THANKS to the forums, members, and all the knowledge contained within this community. Without you guys none of this would be possible :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Those look absolutely fabulous - well done.

I know how hard it is to collect all the bits. I have one franken completed, based on a gen preA1 dial / tritium hands, with gen crown & CG, Jimmy Fu case and a rep caseback together with a Soprod 6497. I also have gathered up all the bits for the next 2 - one is having a complete gen case & crystal, gen white base dial & hands, gen CG & crown, Soprod 6497-1 movement and rep caseback (only the movement and caseback are non-OEM). The other will be a PVD and have a gen B series base dial, gen crown, Jimmy Fu case & CG, DSN hands, Swiss ETA (Hamilton) 6497-2 movement and rep caseback - in other words a PAM009B.

These will join my fully modded 027 and 029 and my rep 5218/201A (2nd generation FGD dail, short lug case, Palp crown, gen CG and early, thick rep 201A caseback).That should be the end of my Panerai collecting as it will give me a selection of all the best variations.

It's reassuring to see someone else with the same affliction as me - frankenpamaddictionitis :)

Although I think by the symptoms presented here you have a worse case than me - I only ever got to 2 x 002 dials!!

Seriously though - fantastic pieces and much kudos to you - have you ever considered getting Ziggy to re-lume any of them with Tritium style lume and have the L's changed to T's - just so you could have a really special Franken A series to mix up the collection ?

That was always a thought of mine

Cheers

FGD

Those look absolutely fabulous - well done.

I know how hard it is to collect all the bits. I have one franken completed, based on a gen preA1 dial / tritium hands, with gen crown & CG, Jimmy Fu case and a rep caseback together with a Soprod 6497. I also have gathered up all the bits for the next 2 - one is having a complete gen case & crystal, gen white base dial & hands, gen CG & crown, Soprod 6497-1 movement and rep caseback (only the movement and caseback are non-OEM). The other will be a PVD and have a gen B series base dial, gen crown, Jimmy Fu case & CG, DSN hands, Swiss ETA (Hamilton) 6497-2 movement and rep caseback - in other words a PAM009B.

These will join my fully modded 027 and 029 and my rep 5218/201A (2nd generation FGD dail, short lug case, Palp crown, gen CG and early, thick rep 201A caseback).That should be the end of my Panerai collecting as it will give me a selection of all the best variations.

Thanks. I would love to see your projects. For me the parts were not easy to obtain. I had no "real" contacts....so I basically scoured the sales forum and got lucky. Alot of time (and alot of misses later) I was able to score what I needed. Please keep us posted with your work. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I think this is it for me as well...I plan on taking a break for a while. My other passion is building vintage pams. But I've seem to reach my limit there as well.

It's reassuring to see someone else with the same affliction as me - frankenpamaddictionitis :)

Although I think by the symptoms presented here you have a worse case than me - I only ever got to 2 x 002 dials!!

Seriously though - fantastic pieces and much kudos to you - have you ever considered getting The Zigmeister to re-lume any of them with Tritium style lume and have the L's changed to T's - just so you could have a really special Franken A series to mix up the collection ?

That was always a thought of mine

Cheers

FGD

Thanks FGD. The Zigmeister is an amazing guy I have sent my 27A to him and I'm speechless at what he can do. This is something I will consider.

And yes I definately have frankenpamaddictionitis...that and the fact that I'm anal about using all the available part I have.

Unbelievable watches. And crazy idea as the money invested would probably get you a couple of nice gen 111s or 112s.

Nice!

Yes...I am nuts...I don't deny it :yeah:

I agree I could have bought a gen...and I do own some...but buying a gen just isn't as fun as building (and wearing) your own. The thrill of getting the part and getting it as near perfect as possible...and all the things you learn when putting it all together...to some it'll probably sound nuts :nea:

Thanks everyone.

klocklind1, short answer is around 5 months. I bought my very first "real" rep sometime in April of this year. It was an 002 with rep dial with jimmy fu case. It had an 001 B series caseback. This was the beginning of it all 8)=@ =@ =@