When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Silix Turn-O-Graph

jmb

After receiving my new DSSD yesterday it was easy to almost overlook receiving my new Turn-O-Graph from Silix yesterday. At a little over $50 (plus shipping) this is a very "entry level" watch which despite it's bargain basement price tag looks rather smart and overall does not look or feel "cheap". The a21j movement produces a fairly smooth sweep, the uni-directional bezel clicks positively and lines up perfectly with the hour markers, the cyclops is nicely centered over the date window, and the date is perfectly aligned in that window and clicks over nicely when advancing. Although a bit dressy for my tastes I suppose one should have at least one more formal type of timepiece.

turn-o-graph%203.JPG

The engraving on the rehaut lines up nicely with the quadrant hour markers:

turn-o-graph%202.JPG

turn-o-graph%204.JPG

Although I don't know how correct the band is for this model it has a nice feel and looks quite nice.

turn-o-graph%205.JPG

This must be an example of the latest attempt by Rolex to combat piracy - notice that the majority of the text on the clasp is in some sort of code! This seems so simple a detail to me and for the life of me I cannot understand why the factories can't get something like this correct!

turn-o-graph%208.JPG

Twin-lock crown...

turn-o-graph%207.JPG

Thanks, Tee! The "Silix experience" really wasn't that bad and I had read both good and bad reviews of their service. Here's the timeline:

9/24/09 - After placing order over the web I received e-mail with PayPal payment instructions. I was also advised "after receiving your payment, it will take about 3 or 4 days ( order from our supplier and have a 24 hours test ) before our shippment."

9/24/09 - I paid for purchase.

9/30/09 - I was advised that the exact watch I ordered was out of stock and offered a substitute along with pictures of the sub. I liked the sub so I said OK.

9/30/09 - I received confirmation and an FYI that due to holiday nothing would ship until Oct 5 at the earliest.

10/5/09 - I received HK Post tracking number.

10/9/09 - Watch actually left the country.

10/17/09 - I received watch.

So, if the week-long holiday hadn't been in the middle of this the whole process would have probably taken about the same length of time as any other dealer. All-in-all a satisfactory purchase.

Demsey, the numerals on this date wheel appear to all be red in color. I had originally ordered one with a silver seconds hand and when they sent me pictures of this one (the one I ordered was out of stock so factory sent them this instead) I thought the red seconds hand really looked nice along with the red date font and told them to substitute.

This must be an example of the latest attempt by Rolex to combat piracy - notice that the majority of the text on the clasp is in some sort of code! This seems so simple a detail to me and for the life of me I cannot understand why the factories can't get something like this correct!

Never seen that 'code' on a gen bracelet. Maybe the factory modified the text to identify their rep part from other factorys' copies? ;)

Glad to see you received your order before hell froze over (which is a Silix trademark). :whistling:

Demsey, the numerals on this date wheel appear to all be red in color. I had originally ordered one with a silver seconds hand and when they sent me pictures of this one (the one I ordered was out of stock so factory sent them this instead) I thought the red seconds hand really looked nice along with the red date font and told them to substitute.

Yeah, that was a good call. The red seconds hand was a boasted 'feature' from Rolex. The rep should have that. I was kicking around my own archive and am thinking the 'roulette' date wheel may have been a replica 'fantasy' accoutrement. Just too much infos in these past years to keep it all straight.

However, I did find a pic of the original, Turn-O-Graph circa 1954 (?) pre-dating the Sub. Somewhere along the line they decided to leave the more 'sport' branch for the more executive 'DateJust' profile. Still, cool watch.....this awta get all those 'vintage Rolex Rep' guys' tongues wagging. C'mon T'J, be the first one on your block!

post-16923-125590890045_thumb.jpg

Yeah, that was a good call. The red seconds hand was a boasted 'feature' from Rolex. The rep should have that. I was kicking around my own archive and am thinking the 'roulette' date wheel may have been a replica 'fantasy' accoutrement. Just too much infos in these past years to keep it all straight.

However, I did find a pic of the original, Turn-O-Graph circa 1954 (?) pre-dating the Sub. Somewhere along the line they decided to leave the more 'sport' branch for the more executive 'DateJust' profile. Still, cool watch.....this awta get all those 'vintage Rolex Rep' guys' tongues wagging. C'mon T'J, be the first one on your block!

post-16923-125590890045_thumb.jpg

I'm sure I've read that the Turn-O-Graph was a US military-issued watch, and also refered to as a 'Thunderbird'... I think a vintage rep might be quite tricky to recreate, but, It might be possible to combine a modern dial with Sub markers to come up with a modern homage :)

I am working on something similar.

lol I might have known. I can't believe I missed your original 6202 post. What a beautiful watch. A lot of challenges there for rep/Franken.

As per your comment in that thread; sourcing the 'Sub style' T-O-G dial is doable? A conquest in and of itself. If you do the 'Albino'? Forget the MBE, you'll be in line to the Templar Knights............

I'm sure I've read that the Turn-O-Graph was a US military-issued watch

I did not know that, but it would make sense. Not a 'dive watch' per se`, but 'commando' a` la MilSub. If you read some of the text to the old Rolex magazine adds (dated well beyond this piece when it was fashioned after the DateJust) the strategy was to appeal to those who wanted an executive watch but also one at the ready, just in case 'adventure called'. It had a pretty decent depth range.

Wouldn't ever imagine Bond wearing one, perhaps 'Q'. Or not. :g:

refered to as a 'Thunderbird'

I love that.

I did not know that, but it would make sense. Not a 'dive watch' per se`, but 'commando' a` la MilSub. If you read some of the text to the old Rolex magazine adds (dated well beyond this piece when it was fashioned after the DateJust) the strategy was to appeal to those who wanted an executive watch but also one at the ready, just in case 'adventure called'. It had a pretty decent depth range.

Wouldn't ever imagine Bond wearing one, perhaps 'Q'. Or not. :g:

I love that.

This is where I got the info from :) From what I read, it sounds more like it was given as an award, rather than regular issue :)

The red date wheel makes me think it might look good in a Red Submariner! B)Dang, I'm already thinking about cannibalizing it! :shock:

"Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will."

- Master Yoda

masteryoda.jpg

Spirit (RWI) gave me a link to a Turn-O-Graph review he did a while back and it had some of the history about being given to fighter pilots in the early fifties and was the first Rolex with rotatable bezel.

Spirit (RWI) gave me a link to a Turn-O-Graph review he did a while back and it had some of the history about being given to fighter pilots in the early fifties and was the first Rolex with rotatable bezel.

Awesome, do you have the link to hand? I have to admit, I'm quite keen to take up Demsey's challenge :) I needed to get a Turn-O-Graph as a case donor for a watch I'm planning on building for my godson :) Awesome that I'll be able to put the dial to use in another project :victory:

I'll grab it as soon as RWI is back up, I think I broke it! I had just replied to somebody and it hung and then no response!! :whistling:

Oh, I was told that the clasp was incorrect so I found a clasp on one of my "incorrect" subs that was the correct clasp!

new%20clasp%202.JPG

TeeJay, here is the link to the review Spirit did of a Turn-O-Graph rep a while back. He also pointed out that I had the wrong clasp on the band and confirmed this one (above) was the correct clasp.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/quick-review-rolex-datejust-turn-30829.html

TeeJay, here is the link to the review Spirit did of a Turn-O-Graph rep a while back. He also pointed out that I had the wrong clasp on the band and confirmed this one (above) was the correct clasp.

http://www.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/quick-review-rolex-datejust-turn-30829.html

Fantastic, thanks for the link :good: Good to see that you were able to put the clasp to use as well :victory:

Yeah, and the coolest part is I think the clasp that was on here is correct for the GMT Master II I robbed this clasp from - I'm trying to find pix to confirm...