When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Franken 024A

l3x

I'd like to share with you my latest (and most likely my last) purchase.

The gen 24A is on my grail list. When P-A (on RG) put his franken 24a up for sale I was all over it. P-A is one of the coolest guys I've dealt with here. Thanks P-A for this amazing watch.

The original crown that came with it was a standard rep crown. And the crown guard, even though gen, the lever wasn't entirely flush with the crown guard body. These things really bugged me...so, I ended up upgrading with a T48 crown and a new A series gen crown guard (modded to fit the T crown).

Kudos to the members with the write up on removing the stem from the 7750. I almost screwed up the keyless until I read your posts. Big thanks.

Here are the specs with the upgrades:

• Correct case set with polished bezel
  • Correct A series case back
  • Gen 24a T dial
  • Gen 24a T hands
  • Gen crown guard
  • Lello date wheel
  • T48 crown
  • Swiss 7750 (This is such a BONUS)

The one other thing I'd like to improve on is the cyclops. I'd like to replace it with a more stronger cyclops (in terms of magnification). But I can't seem to locate one.

Thanks guys for looking and always looking for comments/suggestions on making this even better.

Also for you guys that's been around...what's the story behind this one. I don't see too many of these reps around. Did the cartel use to make them at one point and just stop?

Also the hands, I notice on other subs (reps and gens) there's cap on top of the hand stack. Any one know anything about this?

On to the pics...

24a_2.jpg

24a_1.jpg

24a_0.jpg

Very nice. I'd say the cyclops mag is fine on that. A hair weak but not by much. I might be able to dig up one with a stronger mag if you need it. But you'll then have the problem of trying to figure out how to install it in the sandwich crystal. The diameter of the recess is unlikely to be dead on exact to the diameter of my cyclops.

Anyhow, great watch. I love it. (Is that CG really gen?)

What a truely beautiful watch!!! I agree with chief for what it's worth. The mag in your pic looks pretty darn nice to me and I tend to be a mag and lume nitpicker. Gorgeous presentation , WOW!!

Congratulations on another absolute grail stunner - this is a great place you're 100% correct!!

I couldn't have ever made my 24A (or any of my other watches) without the help and assistance from the people I met on this board.

Here's one of my favourite shots of my franken 24A- fashioned by The Zigmeister with OEM Crown , PAM 199 Crystal & Cyclops, ETA 7750 and a DSN 7750 DW.

th_P1030245.jpg

Cheers and enjoy your beauty

Cheers

Simon

Beautiful FGD. Anything The Zigmeister touches turns into a masterpiece.

How does your 199 crystal & cyclops compare to mine? I'm considering picking it up. But I'm not sure it'll make a difference. Also, the 199 crystal I'm looking at has AR on it. Was the AR removed from yours? I would think it wouldn't be trivial since the cyclops is there.

Beautiful FGD. Anything The Zigmeister touches turns into a masterpiece.

How does your 199 crystal & cyclops compare to mine? I'm considering picking it up. But I'm not sure it'll make a difference. Also, the 199 crystal I'm looking at has AR on it. Was the AR removed from yours? I would think it wouldn't be trivial since the cyclops is there.

It's one of those things - I prefer mine with the 199 cyclops but some people say that DSN 7750 DW is too thin compared to lello or Gen so maybe it needed the extra cyclops mag more than yours does - which actually looks great IMHO.

Here's a better picture of the mag on mine

th_P1030237.jpg

Cheers

FGD