When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Case Closed II

freddy333

This is a continuation of Case Closed

Yet again, contrary to advertised claims, the GMTIIC was not designed as a 1:1 copy of a gen GMTIIC.

As you can see from this pic, the crystal gaskets differ significantly & it was impossible to fit the gen gasket. The gen gasket material is nearly 3 times taller & about twice as thick, which should provide a good watertight seal when installed properly. On the other hand, the rep gasket is puny & only just seals the crystal into the case. Fortunately, both crystals were the same size, so I was able to reuse the rep gasket & press the crystal into place without incident

0391-1.jpg

The gen xtal fitted along with gen Triplock & tube.

The 'black hole' effect, while variable (it is much more profound when the watch is viewed (at the right angle) below a white halogen light source, which is what many ADs use above their watch cases), can be quite striking under optimum conditions. I shot the watch under some halogen ceiling lights to mimic the way the gen looks in ADs when I have auditioned it. As you can see, under the right circumstances, the effect is quite nice

0401.jpg

Crystal (& cyclops) height & latitude match the gen watch. As is often the case, the gen crystal has a slightly purer/clearer appearance vs the rep crystal

0491-1.jpg

Unfortunately, since Dell continues to delay shipment of my Canon macro lens, I cannot get a real tight shot of the laser etching to show you the tiny 's' that denotes a service crystal. But I was able to get a good shot of the laser etching itself

0471.jpg

A couple random thoughts -

To pick up on 1 of Lani's comments, you would have to be crazy to swim with these watches due to the tiny crystal gaskets & ease with which they can be removed & installed (installing this crystal turned out to be child's play compared to most plastic crystals).

The other thing I would say is that due to the fact that the 'black hole' effect requires a bit of work to achieve (most of the time, my 'new' watch looks just like the 'old' watch) & lack of awareness of the existence of the AR within the Rolex service community, I do not think GMTIIC owners should fret over their rep's missing AR. The too-wide rep crown & inaccurate ROLEXROLEXROLEX etchings that run around the circumference of the inner case flange (rehaut) are more significant give-aways than is the missing AR on the cyclops since the AR only really reveals itself under the right type of light & when the crystal is at just the right angle to that light. Still, & before anyone asks, I plan to keep the gen crystal right where it is. ;)

I would also like to thank everyone who has contributed to the wealth of information we have gathered for this truly Super Rep. Lani & Chief, especially, deserve kudos for all of their hard work on the original AR project. :good: Hopefully, a scheme will be worked out to replicate the gen crystal without alot of fuss or pain.

Very nice freddy, thank you!

Which version of the CMT IIc are you using?

This is not "the newest ultimate" from Josh's site with the "clone 3186" movement, is it?

Your bezel font looks too thick to be the newest most repilicious model.

Would you mind sharing where you sourced the gen crystal and what price range we could expect to pay for one?

warm regards,

Which version of the CMT IIc are you using?

This is not "the newest ultimate" from Josh's site with the "clone 3186" movement, is it?

No. Mine is a chs from the initial run that was released in mid-2008. Swiss 2836-2.

Would you mind sharing where you sourced the gen crystal and what price range we could expect to pay for one?

Read this - I paid cost.

In this pic, you can just about make out the side-ways 's' (in the lower/reflected image) in the bottom opening of the coronet

005a1.jpg

For anyone else who is considering swapping crystals in these reps, let me add that the rep gasket, which I had to re-use, deforms a bit when the crystal is reinstalled. So its already limited moisture retardant abilities will be further reduced afterward. This is definitely NOT a watch that I would swim or shower with.

Congratulations freddy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your GMTIIC has come full circle!! and I am happy for ya :thumbsupsmileyanim:

it is what makes this part of our hobby so rewarding..gratifying .. fulfilling..after all the frustration and attempts and discussion to finally get a .. *cough* genuine... :lol:

Especially for you one of the masters of detail in the community !!

My rep crystal is on it's way to Cali.. fingers and toes crossed I can come close to what you are wearing now.. :good:..

I think the hardest part for me will be attaching the cyclops back onto the crystal.. the rest will be just labor..

So again, congrats.. on that fine AR'd mag.. oops.. I mean AR'd underside of the crystal below the mag.. :1a:

AC

lani

• 10 months later...