When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

MBW AP RO, gen dial

exeekias

Hi all,

I don't post here much but I thought since you have a special AP forum you guys might like this :)

I got this MBW Royal Oak w/ 39mm case off another forum so that the gen dial I had bought off the 'bay could have a home. It was an easy swap, and here are the results. I'm no expert on AP by any means, so I really have no idea as far as accuracy to the gen, but I'd love to hear any comments and suggestions along those lines. I'm definitely trying to improve my knowledge of the extensive Royal Oak line.

Here's a before shot:

APRO1.jpg

Here is a comparison of the gen dial on the left and the rep dial/mov't on the right. The rep dial is pretty close. I'm not sure if the rep is based on exactly the same model as my dial. The gen was .5mm smaller in diameter. Main differences are the AP logo and text, both of which are bigger on the rep. Also, although it's hard to tell from the pics, the guilloche/waffle pattern (please help me out if there's a specific term I'm missing) on the gen produces an almost 3-D starburst effect that is absent from the rep. On the whole though, while the rep dial is pretty good, it is definitely lacking in "richness" compared to the gen.

APRO2.jpg

Here are a couple shots of the dial installed, first outdoors then indoors. The gen dial has a couple scratches in it, which thankfully are not at all noticeable with it installed, unless you look really really close. I think the lack of AR helps in this respect:

APRO4.jpg

I don't know if the yellow gold screws are accurate or not for this model (I suspect not), but they look nice and provide a neat contrast to the blue dial, so I think I'll keep them rather than digging them out and replacing them, or having them somehow redone with white gold plating (if that is even possible). If any of you know what exact model RO this rep is supposed to be based on, and whether or not the screws are accurate, please do let me know.

APRO3.jpg

I also relumed the hands, as the rep lume was very poor compared to the gen. The hands are still not quite the same brightness, but I think this is due to the width difference between the hands and markers. Anyway here's a lume shot of the finished product:

APRO5.jpg

And the obligatory wristie. You can sort of see the starburst effect of the guilloche in this shot:

APRO6.jpg

So, there's my latest project. I hope you all like it :)

Thanks very much for the comments :)

@Katerchen: it was sold to me as an MBW, I have no idea if it is or not, the seller I'm sure didn't misrepresent it but I'll take your word for it.

The caseback is solid and says "No. 4206" and below that "E-23473" which is probably no help at all.

I still don't know about the bezel screws, maybe I'll try to find some in a less yellow tone at some point.

Whatever it is, I'm enjoying it for sure :)