When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do the DJII & GMTIIC have in common?

freddy333

I have to admit, I can't see the logic in only putting AR beneath the cyclops, but not under the entire crystal... :unsure:

To date, I have yet to get the official word on why Rolex chose to AR only the cyclops (which, considering that many of the watchmakers in their own service network are totally oblivious to the existence of ANY AR on ANY Rolex watch, is probably another of Rolex's closely guarded marketing secrets), but I am beginning to think they did it solely for aesthetic reasons. Having that 'black hole' over the date window is just 1 more thing that can set Rolex apart from the crowd & it does look kind of cool - at least, when the watch is photographed at just the right angle under just the right light. :blink:

AR is on the bottom of the crystal.

Correct

062-2_2__tonemapped1.jpg

(This is a pic of the backside of my GMTIIC lens, but I am sure the DJII lens is made the same way)

To date, I have yet to get the official word on why Rolex chose to AR only the cyclops (which, considering that many of the watchmakers in their own service network are totally oblivious to the existence of ANY AR on ANY Rolex watch, is probably another of Rolex's closely guarded marketing secrets), but I am beginning to think they did it solely for aesthetic reasons (having that 'black hole' of a cyclops is kind of cool - at least, it makes for more compelling pics).

I'm wondering if it might be as a subtle anti-counterfeiting device, in so much as it's easy enough to get a whole crystal ARd, but that small section, might be harder to achieve... It definitely makes for some interesting pics, but personally, I'm not too keen, as I think it only highlights that the rest of the crystal isn't ARd, so making the remainder of the dial appear slightly 'obscured' in comparison... That said, if Rolex have started to delve into AR technology, perhaps they'll start putting it out as a fully crystal application on other watches :victory:

I think you may be right. Or, at least, that may have been part of their reasoning. :good:

I think the thing that makes me consider that, is I can think of better aspects of the dial to highlight via AR than the datewheel :lol: I think it makes more sense for it to be considered as an anti-counterfeiting measure, simply because many might not notice the AR beneath the cyclops (or be able to easily replicate it if they could) :)