When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Am I insane ?

specialvat

Good People,

I ask for a moment of your time, I ve been given a broken modern daytona rep (centre seconds sub dials are day month etc). Now I suffer from the illness that every rookie must have, i.e. all parts fit if the watch looks the same. I know the movement is wrong, but can I turn it into something I actually would wear.

So I ve bought a 6263 dial from a member only cheap mind(like me) in the hope it will go over this weird movement, I ve also bought a DW6263 bezel on the cheap again (theme appearing) in the hope that will fit.

My main hope is that cases are pretty similar unless they are super expensive, I have super glue on stand by.

Do I have a chance ?

P.S. I used black marker pen to colour the seconds hand black like it sound be on a 6263, and plan to use correcting fluid to paint sub dial hands. Guess I answered my own thread title, but it should be fun trying to get it all together.

Any tips and/or advice would be a great help.

Thanks for reading my ramblings :)

Good luck! I've found that 99% of the time, success comes not from planning it to death, but from jumping in with guns blazing, and fighting the monster into submission.

However... :whistling:

The one thing that sets an accurate early Daytona apart from the cheapie reps is the subdial spacing. Most have the small eyes too far apart. Kinda like Marty Feldman. The big upheaval in Daytonas came from the "ExtraExtra" 6263 with correct(er) spacing, and then the DW Daytona with accurate spacing. If you've got a DW dial I'm about 3,000% certain it won't fit your movement. And likely your case diameter is not the correct, so the bezel won't fit either.

This is why God made power tools. :Jumpy:

Now you gotta ask yourself just how far you're willing to take this? Is it entertainment, or do you want a reasonably accurate piece when you're done?

I m just seeing how far no skill and a lot of hope will get me, Not looking to build something super special as I dont think I could. Was just hoping to use the case I was kindly given, and making a watch I like. One question should the cyrstal be attached to the case or the bezel as mine is the latter ? I think I may be in trouble already :)

My main hope is that cases are pretty similar unless they are super expensive, I have super glue on stand by.

Actually, the reverse is generally true - the more expensive cases (DW, Yuki, NDtrading, etc), having been designed to gen specs, tend to be the same, whereas cheap copies, being less concerned with dimensional accuracy, tend to vary.

I agree with Nanuq, since we know nothing about the parts you have, it is impossible to tell whether or how they will fit together. So your best option is to dive right in & find out. Then report back with good, clear pics.

Nah, you're never in trouble until the bleeding starts.

The crystal should sit on the case, and the bezel presses down over it, to squeeze the thing and make it stay on there.

Don't use Superglue! It will give off fumes that haze the inside of the crystal, and ruin it.

Let's see some photos as you progress... this will be fun!

I m just seeing how far no skill and a lot of hope will get me

All the way to the White House. :Jumpy:

C'mon, I know it's shameless thread crap, but when the 12 pointer walks right up to the mule pack? Shoot!.

Good luck with the watch sv, I'm with 'Nanuq'. Just jump in! I painted my Grand Wagoneer in my driveway. Experience factor at the time? "0".

GrandWagoneer.jpg

DO IT!

I m boned the case is a POS, all part of the learning curve. Thanks for the encouragement guys, I may sway towards an alpha watch and try and use the 6263 dial on that. Or will that be same story ?

Magic movement:

P9260217.jpg

Case with bezel off (it presses on):

P9260219.jpg

Bezel with the crystal attached:

P9260220.jpg

Excuse the pics had to take quick ones camera battery only charges for five mins.

• 2 weeks later...

Right,

I m moving onto drilling springbar holes, knowing my love of botching these jobs how do I proceed ?

Clamp and drill or is it more involved, I ve got the POS case to practice on in the mean time.

Ah the joy of modding when you have no skill and infinite stupidity :)

Right,

I m moving onto drilling springbar holes, knowing my love of botching these jobs how do I proceed ?

Clamp and drill or is it more involved, I ve got the POS case to practice on in the mean time.

Ah the joy of modding when you have no skill and infinite stupidity :)

Glad to have been of inspiration :)

Oh, and with regards using superglue, while it will no doubt get me shouted at, I must admit that I have used it a few times when re-securing loose lume into the surround, and I find it gives me the best results for securing bezel inserts. I've tried using two-part epoxy, but when I then rotated the bezel, so it wouldn't glue solid, the pressure of it 'peeling' between the bezel and insert forced the insert out of the bezel. I can understand why people advise against superglue, as it spreads easily, and could easily wick into a delicate area, but personally, I feel comfortable using it in miniscule amounts. With regards using it on any dial work (such as re-securing lume) I just allowed the glue to cure fully before re-casing the dial, and had no issue with fumes fogging the back of the crystal. Of course, if I were to re-case it with the glue still curing, then yes, fumes would be a definite :lol:

PS

Can't wait to see how the project progresses :good: