When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is that a Real Rolex? No, it's a Tudor!

TeeJay

IMG_0699A.jpg

Probably the question that every n00b rep collector dreads, is "Is that a fake Rolex??" Everyone knows that Rolex = Fake in the minds of most, simply as it is such a reproduced brandname. I suspect that most members of the community have no desire to pass their reps off as gens, but even so, sometimes, a little anonymity can be nice :) I have found that wearing a watch which says 'Tudor' rather than 'Rolex', is one way of obtaining this anonymity...

Both my Tudor dials have come as gifts from Slartibartfast, who first discussed making Ranger dial transfers in this post.

Here're a few photos of the dials and watches to show just what amazing effects are possible using the transfer technique, and how incredible the dials look cased up :)

DSCN2186.jpg

DSCN2186-1.jpg

DSCN2180.jpg

DSCN2178.jpg

DSCN2177.jpg

For a period, I re-cased the dial in my 'Tokyo Case set', and the watch truly became a daily beater:

DSCN2204.jpg

DSCN2449.jpg

DSCN2450.jpg

Today, this arrived:

DSCN2557.jpg

And cased up, I think it looks Top Notch :victory:

DSCN2560.jpg

The Snowflake dial is now re-cased in the NATO case, and Project Snowflake continues (bezel insert is laid in place for photo) and will hopefully be ready for wear next summer, insha'Allah, but for now, I am quite happy to have converted the 'Tokyo Case' into a 79190 as a daily beater :) I have no plans to drill lug holes, as I'm not that picky on detail, and I don't plan on installing a new cyclops, as I simply don't like them. I can honestly say, that the 79190 is a near-entirely self-constructed project watch. The only original parts from when the case was originally purchased, are the case, the bezel, and the crown. The bracelet, caseback and crystal were installed before going to Tokyo (the links and clasp are from two bracelets) but the watch was then a Coke GMT II, so there has since been a change in movement (twice) a change in bezel insert, and a change in dial (twice) All in all, I am very happy to be wearing a watch which I built myself :tu:

DSCN2561.jpg

DSCN2562.jpg

DSCN2571.jpg

Does it glow in the dark? A few seconds under a UV LED...

DSCN2584.jpg

In the words of Dale Gribble, Sha SHA!!!

DSCN2588.jpg

I know I'm probably preaching to the choir here, but I don't think anyone could say that Tudor is Rolex's 'poor cousin'. Personally, I prefer the expression I read online (I forget where) which said that Tudor were 'sponsored' by Rolex. Tudor may be less widely known, and certainly not as widely repped as Rolex, but I think there is more variety to the Tudor Subs than Rolex offered... :victory:

Thanks for reading,

[Edit to add]

Just to be clear, the point of this article was to showcase the Tudor dials Slartibartfast made, the words are just padding :)

Nice TJ and great review!!! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

+1,000,000!!!!! Definitely need the snowflake hands to complete the look!

Many thanks :) Project Snowflake will be receiving snowflake hands in the future, as well as a correct caseback for the model, when finances allow :) It's all just a case of having the spare cash for a purely hobby-related purchase :bangin::) To be honest, even though it's not 'model accurate', I felt the mercedes hands worked okay with the Snowflake dial, and the dial itself, is certainly incredibly easy to read regardless of the hands. I'm wondering if it might be that the human eye notices 'edges and angles' more easily that curves... :pardon: Both watches are still works in progress :)

Great review TeeJay! Glad you liked the dial. It (the dial) turned out reasonably well IMHO.

It didn't quite go to plan for me, though. I cased up my dial yesterday, and promptly ripped the decal when fitting the hour hand. You must have a lighter touch than me!

My replacement datewheel didn't turn out well either. I got the number progression wrong in the graphic!

Have a laugh here

I think your "Tokyo case" project has turned out superbly! I must admit to being a bit jeaous at this point in time. :wounded1:

Slarti

Great review TeeJay! Glad you liked the dial. It (the dial) turned out reasonably well IMHO.

It didn't quite go to plan for me, though. I cased up my dial yesterday, and promptly ripped the decal when fitting the hour hand. You must have a lighter touch than me!

My replacement datewheel didn't turn out well either. I got the number progression wrong in the graphic!

Have a laugh here

I think your "Tokyo case" project has turned out superbly! I must admit to being a bit jeaous at this point in time. :wounded1:

Slarti

No problem at all, I just wish my photos were better :lol: 'Reasonably well'?? I think the dials are absolutely awesome :) Every bit as clear as the factory-produced dials :victory: Sorry to hear about your dial accident... When I replace the hands, I use a strip of double-sided tape (with some of the adhesive 'thumbed off') to hold the hand till it's over the pinion, and I've found that a very reliable method :) Thanks, but mine's as much sentimental value as anything :) I'm sure you'll have a replacement 79190 dial lumed and varnished before long, and no doubt with better quality movement and parts than mine :victory:

Do you have any other designs planned?