When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The stem or not the stem?

dippy

So I bought a cheap beater vintage GMT master from Watcheden. I arrived quickly, looked decent for the price, so i've been wearing it and thinking of simple vintage mods I could do. I decided on simply aging the insert and dial. I bleached the insert until I got the desired look and then unscrewed the crown to remove the stem and subsequently the dial. I noticed when I unscrewed it that it had some play and that the hack didn't activate when in the #2 position. Confirming my suspicion, it no longer winds and only has 2 positions. Both of them move the hands and one will "slippingly" move the gmt.

It pisses me off because usually I am good enough at screwing up a movement without the factory's help :p

Do you guys think its the stem or the stem retention inside the movement? I've got to contact Sarah and see if we can resolve this, but it would help me to let her know what the problem is.

What do you think????

Actually, I just unscrewed the crown to the winding position when I noticed the slip. I'm actually wondering if it is the keyless works that's jacked up. The crown and stem are just fine. I tried the reinsert with gentle rotation to see if that would reset, but it didn't.

At least it runs, I just can't quickset the date, wind, or move the GMT hand independently.