When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Just received my order, but

horologist

Hello to all,

I just received my Cartier with eta 2836 from a very good reputable collector I discovered from this site. As soon as I received it, I had carefully wound it by hand. After a few hours of running it has suddenly stopped and it just wont run regardless of whether I hand wind it or rapidly move my wrist. While it was running I noticed that when I moved my wrist across my ear, I could hear the rotor move smoothly but after it stopped rotating on being stationary accross my ear, I could also hear some very fine ratchet noise for some seconds. Not sure if this was a symptom of what was to happen. As I only just recieved it, I know that I can mail it to back the seller as it has a warranty, however, before I do, I wanted to know if it is feasible to do so, in case it may be a small problem which would be better resolved locally than spending money to resend to seller and having to go through the customs risks etc again?? Any suggestions with similar experiences????

Much thanks

Your experience is typical of rep watches, which contain used/unserviced movements & are assembled with little or no QC. Contact the seller & follow his instructions. Your only alternatives are to open the watch & post some good, clear macro pics & maybe someone can direct you to repair the watch yourself, or pay a local watchmaker to service it.

If you have access to a "rep friendly" watch smith that could take a look at it.. or return it for a exchange.. it happens often with our hobby..

inform your dealer if you plan to do anything locally .. they are pretty good about working with you on that respect... you really can't even speculate on what the problem is until someone takes a look a the movement..

let us know your progression

AC

Lani

......... but after it stopped rotating on being stationary accross my ear, I could also hear some very fine ratchet noise for some seconds.

I follow you until this ^^^^^ portion of the sentence. Can you no longer hear the rotor spin? Occaisionally, well, often in replica, the rotor screw will back off and you can hear it rattle within the case. However, the watch may still run and can be hand wound. Sometimes, and perhaps in your case, the rotor screw backed off and the scew is interfering with the balance wheel and has siezed the movement. An easy fix for a watchsmith, and for you too, if you are willing to try. If it is indeed the rotor screw, removing the caseback would be the biggest obstacle. Accomplishing that, the 'repair' would merely involve a 2mm screw driver to reinstall the screw. Not familiar with the Cartier case design however, so I cannot advise with regard to opening the watch.

You are correct in assumimg this would certainly warrant a 'return' and again correct in assuming it may be more worth your while to have it repaired locally; shipping costs, customs, time, etc.,...........if you do decide to take on the responsibility, confer with your dealer first, and suggest a 'discount' on a future purchase or some other sort of compensation for your trouble. That is 'fair' and has been my experience.

Good luck!

If you have access to a "rep friendly" watch smith that could take a look at it.. or return it for a exchange.. it happens often with our hobby..

inform your dealer if you plan to do anything locally .. they are pretty good about working with you on that respect... you really can't even speculate on what the problem is until someone takes a look at the movement..

let us know your progression

AC

Lani

......... but after it stopped rotating on being stationary accross my ear, I could also hear some very fine ratchet noise for some seconds.

I follow you until this ^^^^^ portion of the sentence. Can you no longer hear the rotor spin? Occaisionally, well, often in replica, the rotor screw will back off and you can hear it rattle within the case. However, the watch may still run and can be hand wound. Sometimes, and perhaps in your case, the rotor screw backed off and the scew is interfering with the balance wheel and has siezed the movement. An easy fix for a watchsmith, and for you too, if you are willing to try. If it is indeed the rotor screw, removing the caseback would be the biggest obstacle. Accomplishing that, the 'repair' would merely involve a 2mm screw driver to reinstall the screw. Not familiar with the Cartier case design however, so I cannot advise with regard to opening the watch.

You are correct in assumimg this would certainly warrant a 'return' and again correct in assuming it may be more worth your while to have it repaired locally; shipping costs, customs, time, etc.,...........if you do decide to take on the responsibility, confer with your dealer first, and suggest a 'discount' on a future purchase or some other sort of compensation for your trouble. That is 'fair' and has been my experience.

Good luck!

HA! Take that 'Lanikai' you 'Today's Top Poster' post [censored]! YEAH!!

HA! Take that 'Lanikai' you 'Today's Top Poster' post whore! YEAH!!

Ehhh... I resemble that remark... :brow:

thank you Dems... :) that's the nicest thing you've said to me in a while.. since your hang ova subsided that is..

btw.. I didn't read your post before typing mine so's I guess that means we're sorta on the same page.. *scary thought he say's to himself*** :nea:

Lani

Good luck!

HA! Take that 'Lanikai' you 'Today's Top Poster' post [censored]! YEAH!!

Thanks to you Demsey, Lanikai and Freddy for your caring responses. I know what you are referring to regarding the rotor screw coming loose. I have had this experience with a genuine Tissot which had an eta 2824 mvt. I am sure that with this replica, it is not the case as the rotor winds very smoothly without any rattling noise, but when the rotor stops rotating, I can actually feel like an unwinding sound as if there seems to be an overwound very much like a yoyo on a string which seems to rotate on it's axis but doesn't seem to climb up. I felt this especially when I laid the watch with the back on the palm of my hand. I could hear a bzzzzzzzzzz sound without the rotor moving. I hope the description makes sense. Sort of, I hope??? I will take the advice of each reply in contacting the collector and will see what his reaction is.. I am confident that he is honest and that it is just one of those things that happens, but one never knows. Once again many thanks for the response.

Ehhh... I resemble that remark... :brow:

thank you Dems... :) that's the nicest thing you've said to me in a while.. since your hang ova subsided that is..

btw.. I didn't read your post before typing mine so's I guess that means we're sorta on the same page.. *scary thought he say's to himself*** :nea:

Lani

:lol:

Yes, it is always good practice to question one's position when agreeing with 'Demsey'. Fall back, regroup and rethink. If you come up with anything contrary yet concrete, please get back to me. By PM if I'm that far off base. I however, am bumping this thread as 'lanikai' is in agreement with said 'Demsey'. 'Image' is everything. -_-

@Horologist

OK, all clear now. It would seem the winding system is working, and then the mainspring losing it's reserve 'all at once'. Perhaps the ratcheting funtion of the clutch wheel portion of the system has failed. A theory only, I am no watchsmith certainly.

Please keep us informed as to the collector's course and the mechanics of the repair if you are privy. How we all may learn.

Best o' luck................

:lol:

Yes, it is always good practice to question one's position when agreeing with 'Demsey'. Fall back, regroup and rethink. If you come up with anything contrary yet concrete, please get back to me. By PM if I'm that far off base. I however, am bumping this thread as 'lanikai' is in agreement with said 'Demsey'. 'Image' is everything. -_-

SCNAPPPP !!!! 8)

"ONE IN A ROW" :lol:

have a good weekend Dems.. hope you land a big ass something... :good:

I am sure that with this replica, it is not the case as the rotor winds very smoothly without any rattling noise, but when the rotor stops rotating, I can actually feel like an unwinding sound as if there seems to be an overwound very much like a yoyo on a string which seems to rotate on it's axis but doesn't seem to climb up. I felt this especially when I laid the watch with the back on the palm of my hand. I could hear a bzzzzzzzzzz sound without the rotor moving.

It could be a problem with the click, which retards the mainspring & keeps it from unwinding, or the mainspring itself. In either case, without the proper tools & experience, I would leave this type of work to a pro or return the watch to the seller.

Even if the problem were a (loose) screw tangled in the hairspring (which would stop the watch), I would leave the work to a pro. It is very difficult to untangle a hairspring without a loupe, a proper set of tweezers, a very steady hand & some experience.