When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

watch running slow

gplracer

I got my watch back from my friend who changed the dial and hands. Now it is running a little slow. I would say 1-2 minutes a day. It is a sub with a 2836-2 movement. What do you think happened? Before it was about 5-6 seconds off a day. My guess is dust in it or he hit the adjustment thingy. What would be a good course of action?

If he changed the dial and hands a couple of things could happen...if he doesn't know the correct way to set the hands.

1. Simplest thing. Second hand could be dragging lightly on the back of the crystal. Easy fix.

2. Could have set the hour hand down too far and it is dragging on the dial or just around the hole, although this will most likely stop the watch.

3. Second hand could be kissing the minute hand each time it comes around. Get a magnifying glass and watch it.

4. Minute hand could be kissing the hour indices.

For the change to have been that dramatic after the "dial and hands were changed" I'd look at these things first before I'd rebuild the movement.

MT

MT thanks for the suggestions. I have another friend that actually works on watches all the time. He would be the one to look at this. When I take it to him I will bring up your suggestions. The watch is running 2-3 minutes slow each day instead of 5-6 seconds slow like it was before. It was on a timing machine several weeks ago.