When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

How do you feel about new Panerai watches?

Guest Sql_pl

I've been browsing some gen Panerai forums and started to think how everything people discuss there is all the new Panerai offerings.

And I don't know if I am the only person thinking Panerai may have lost it somehow?

For me Panerai is their Historic line, manuals, 000, 111, 112, 113, 005.... always loved them most. I also respect the "historic" automatics, like soprod power reserves, gmt's, some 7750 based ones as well. More or less everything before their "in-house boom".

But with all these new weird, complicated, 6-day, 8-day, GMT, am-pm, linear power reserve, tourbillon, different cases.... somehow I feel it is not for me. Maybe I am just a traditionalist, I just can't warm to their new offerings and I start to wonder if a brand that somehow resurrected mainly thanks to their very simple, classic design should really focus so much on so differet lines as they do now.

What do you guys think?

Good discussion topic.

While I respect the P9000 series movement, I tend to agree with you M.

Panerai is and will always be about the historical models.

I do appreciate and love the 8-day movement - kind of a passing of the torch from the Angelus to a modern day movement.

I'm not feeling most of the new designs though g.gif

I think, like all markets, the watch market is about one up-man ship and Panerai is trying to stake it's place

Given the amount of brands moving to alternative materials and avant garde designs, I t do think they are holding somewhat true to their roots

But with all these new weird, complicated, 6-day, 8-day, GMT, am-pm, linear power reserve, tourbillon, different cases.... somehow I feel it is not for me. Maybe I am just a traditionalist, I just can't warm to their new offerings and I start to wonder if a brand that somehow resurrected mainly thanks to their very simple, classic design should really focus so much on so differet lines as they do now.

What do you guys think?

I'm with you. New models lack the history of a Panerai and too commercialize.

I prefer the Pre-Vs and A to C series.

Expensive 6497s imho but I do find the older models (the "simple" ones, as it were) to be well designed and quite functional, if absurdly overpriced.

I feel PAM is attempting to incorporate these "new" technologies to justify their prices and it's going to continue to stretch their brand... stick with what works!

One model, the 320......I've been waiting for.......1950 case, GMT, date with no Mag.....simply marvelous.....I'll be all over the REP if it ever comes out!

I think part of the PAM thinking on this new models is to make them harder to replicate??? :whistling:

.......and so far it seems tobe workin since no descent one have come out from China yet.......but I haven't

given up on our Chinese brudahs! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

Are you serious?

270 nice

275 well nice

235 Class

311 well nice and light

317 I thing of friggin beauty

276/306 sell the kids

315 the Mutts Nuts

And the list continues to grow and get better

Please don't get me wrong I love the Pannies as much as the next man,

but if there's one thing this forum has showed me is that the Historics

and quite a few of the contempories are just very over priced and just

very basic watches. What Gimp would pay 90+K for a 202a from the Mid 1990's

it makes a Rolex Comex seem like the Magna Carta History wise. I mean what history are we talking about here!! The italian Navy oh yeah they uuummm. Uuummmm tabrok nah pearl nah I'm sorry I must of missed that class about a couple of blokes on a pig!!! And they never wore a watch anyway it was just a Compass cos they'd of got lost with out it. To me the Panerai history is just marketing bumpf to support their Sales.

The new watches Rock!!! the in house movements are awesome and pretty much crap on anything Rolex Breitling Omega ,IWC and all those ETA based watches which seem to make up 60+ percent luxury watch brands seem to roll out these days.

Panerai is pushing forward with its watches and not just changing the Dial every few months, Its just a shame they are impossible to rep and way out of my league $$$wise

I think the new models are great. OP are trying to pick up a new market share I believe and they are achieving that. On Paneristi you are seeing more and more newbies to the brand that have been drawn in by these new in-housemovements. The 312, 320 especially are attracting buyers that never wanted a PAM due to them only having ETA movements. The price point of the 312 is perfect as well, attracting those former ETA naysayers.

Now they are releasing a 42mm rose gold Radiomir with sandwich dial and new in house movement, I can't wait to see if they also bring out a SS version in the Luminor case.

OP is great, there really is something for everyone :)

I'm not even close to being a Risti like you guys, but I think the new design incorporates enough of the historic look while leading the brand into the future. My only gripe with the inhouse movement is the apparent sunken datewheel -- I'm not sure if this is because the sandwich dial is thicker creating that illusion, or if the date mechanism is in fact slightly low. It was very apparent on the 312 I tried on. I saw a killer Radiomir at a dealer -- not sure the model number, but it had an 8 day reserve on the dial with a GMT hand and cyclops date. Gorgeous IMHO. I like the roller ball levers on the newer models -- very nice touch. I think they've made a lot of smart business decisions re the brand evolution.

Imho the new movement line ar gorgeous, very simple, classy and well finished.

Let's face it, if paneai were not going to real horlogerie, they would fade away, as any "fashon" item.

They would have been hipe for 5-10 year, with the new "big watch" trend and a really cool original design, but what hapens to them when in 5 year when the trend reverse back to small watch ?

You cannot justify 5k€ for an 6497 watch whos design is mostly plain and simple.

the new line keeps enough of the brand spirit, but allow them to not only be a case maker (whos design is now mostly unprotected by copyright)

For the history ... i love old PAM as they really show the patina of time. But old pam are olmost as much Rolex history as OP.

And speaking of "history"

The history of italian navy, is somthing i'd rather not think too much about ...

I am building a few vintage homage, with 616 or angelus, but i would certainly not whant engraving of german combat navy on it. Why not a few SS engraving while we are at it ...

That an aspect of PAM history not so cool imho, and i dont understand the frenzie on those model.

One model, the 320......I've been waiting for.......1950 case, GMT, date with no Mag.....simply marvelous.....I'll be all over the REP if it ever comes out!

I think part of the PAM thinking on this new models is to make them harder to replicate??? :whistling:

.......and so far it seems tobe workin since no descent one have come out from China yet.......but I haven't

given up on our Chinese brudahs! :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I agree, its a great watch! I tried one on at the AD. there's a rep of the 312 already, but pretty crappy!

I personally like most of the new line. Except the 'daylight' crono with blue dial...

The 312 for example - I've tried one on in an AD and been in a meeting with someone wearing one.

It has a lot of presence without 'shouting'.

Thicker, bulbeous caseback lifts the watch a little off the wrist, adding to the presence.

Date without cyclops is nice - I was never a cyclops fan.

And the movement from behind looks superb.

I think Panerai needs to do something to justify their price tags, and the evolution of in house movements is a step in the right direction.

They need to be modernizing without losing their essence, and as a 'first' collection they haven't done too badly.

It'll be interesting to see where they go from here....

Good discussion topic.

While I respect the P9000 series movement, I tend to agree with you M.

Panerai is and will always be about the historical models.

I do appreciate and love the 8-day movement - kind of a passing of the torch from the Angelus to a modern day movement.

I'm not feeling most of the new designs though g.gif

I think, like all markets, the watch market is about one up-man ship and Panerai is trying to stake it's place

Given the amount of brands moving to alternative materials and avant garde designs, I t do think they are holding somewhat true to their roots

My thoughts exactly :)