When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Hello from Columbus Ohio

maxquillen

I've been lurking here for a few days and I'm amazed at the tremendous body of horologic knowledge this site offers. I've been interested in watches for years but have never had the time to learn how to properly work on them, devoting most of my free time to cars and some racing. I've restored quite a few cars, specifically a '66, '67, and '68 Shelby Mustang, and a few Triumps and Fiats. I liken an ETA 2824-2 movement to a small block Chevy engine, the go-to engine for rodders and customizers. The older I get the fewer cars I'm interested in working on and my knees and back have grown tired. As I've begun tinkering with watches, however, I realize my eyes have grown tired too--need a stronger loupe. I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area for anyone interested. Professionally I used to be in purchasing management for a major Japanese auto manufacturer, and most recently I've sold a restaurant.

Welcome to RWG. I showed up here about eleven months ago. I was just going to buy a cheep quartz rep and be on my way. Well things did not quite work out that way. I now have a eleven reps and I have learned more about timepieces then I thought possible. The knowledge and expertise here are above reproach. I have a lot of relatives In the Clombus, Cincinnati, cleavend area. The one thing that I love about Cloumbus Is that you can not drive more then a mile or so without running Into a White castle. Im from Detroit and basically grew up on them. I even ate them little things for breakfast. LOL :lol: Im also In the Automobile Industry. I restord a 1971 Pontiac Trans Am about six years ago. It took about two years and I was lucky to make the few bucks that I did. I might take on another project later on down the road but It's alot of work and I just dont think Im as commited as when I was younger, a little wiser I hope. :pardon: Again welcome and If you have any questions just ask. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

Welcome Max.

Welcome to RWG. I showed up here about eleven months ago. I was just going to buy a cheep quartz rep and be on my way. Well things did not quite work out that way. I now have a eleven reps and I have learned more about timepieces then I thought possible. The knowledge and expertise here are above reproach. I have a lot of relatives In the Clombus, Cincinnati, cleavend area. The one thing that I love about Cloumbus Is that you can not drive more then a mile or so without running Into a White castle. Im from Detroit and basically grew up on them. I even ate them little things for breakfast. LOL :lol: Im also In the Automobile Industry. I restord a 1971 Pontiac Trans Am about six years ago. It took about two years and I was lucky to make the few bucks that I did. I might take on another project later on down the road but It's alot of work and I just dont think Im as commited as when I was younger, a little wiser I hope. :pardon: Again welcome and If you have any questions just ask. :thumbsupsmileyanim: Mike

The WC are still here in The "D" however I do would not visit most unless you are locked & loaded. Nothing beats WC at 3am after a long night of drinking. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I've been lurking here for a few days and I'm amazed at the tremendous body of horologic knowledge this site offers. I've been interested in watches for years but have never had the time to learn how to properly work on them, devoting most of my free time to cars and some racing. I've restored quite a few cars, specifically a '66, '67, and '68 Shelby Mustang, and a few Triumps and Fiats. I liken an ETA 2824-2 movement to a small block Chevy engine, the go-to engine for rodders and customizers. The older I get the fewer cars I'm interested in working on and my knees and back have grown tired. As I've begun tinkering with watches, however, I realize my eyes have grown tired too--need a stronger loupe. I'm in the Columbus, Ohio area for anyone interested. Professionally I used to be in purchasing management for a major Japanese auto manufacturer, and most recently I've sold a restaurant.

Welcome! You'll learn al lot on this great forum. Upgrade you membership and support the forum and you may enter the GMT raffle too! I was one of the lucky winners of one of the last raffles btw. ;-)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. And yes, maxman, the sliders at the "Castle" great. I'm lucky(??) that I've got one about 5 minutes from me...doh. The '71 TA was a very sweet car.

I just ordered a rep to see what $125 will buy. To be honest I'm a bit nervous but I've always liked the Omega PO, and Narikaa seems to be well recommended (already got the tracking #, great service so far). I'm hoping it will be a decent watch for a daily wearer. I'm planning on dropping some bigger bucks on BK's LV--I've been put on the wait list. That's the reason I didn't get a higher end Omega rep--someone has one with an ETA 2824-2 IIRC. I can see how this hobby could get out of hand real fast. The beauty of watches as opposed to cars is that they're easier to store, the incremental pricing is much lower, and I can hide them from my wife, lol.

I'm looking for some watch tools and want to acquire a bit more knowledge before I tear into my gen Breitling Chrono Sirius, but the old duct tape trick worked like a charm on my Casio diver. I'm surprised at the pricing on the Swiss tools--I think I'll stick to the Indian and Chinese made tools for now.

I think this site, and what I assume are its sister sites, are great. I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions.

Thanks again.

MaxQ

I live right on Grandview Ave. Probably have to do a Get Together sometime this winter.

I lived over there for a couple of years. I wonder how many more are here from Central Ohio. A winter get together may not be a bad idea. A couple of cold ones and check out watches. I am currently up to 15 but will be thinning the stock a bit here shortly. PM me if you are interested.

Welcome Max.

The WC are still here in The "D" however I do would not visit most unless you are locked & loaded. Nothing beats WC at 3am after a long night of drinking. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

I was In Detroit about a year ago. I visted the one on Eight mile and Woodward, OMG. I really did not care about the burgers, I just wanted to get out of there alive. I lived In Brimingham and that Is still a very nice area. But I wont be going back to the orig eight mile location any time soon. :shock:

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. And yes, maxman, the sliders at the "Castle" great. I'm lucky(??) that I've got one about 5 minutes from me...doh. The '71 TA was a very sweet car.

I just ordered a rep to see what $125 will buy. To be honest I'm a bit nervous but I've always liked the Omega PO, and Narikaa seems to be well recommended (already got the tracking #, great service so far). I'm hoping it will be a decent watch for a daily wearer. I'm planning on dropping some bigger bucks on BK's LV--I've been put on the wait list. That's the reason I didn't get a higher end Omega rep--someone has one with an ETA 2824-2 IIRC. I can see how this hobby could get out of hand real fast. The beauty of watches as opposed to cars is that they're easier to store, the incremental pricing is much lower, and I can hide them from my wife, lol.

I'm looking for some watch tools and want to acquire a bit more knowledge before I tear into my gen Breitling Chrono Sirius, but the old duct tape trick worked like a charm on my Casio diver. I'm surprised at the pricing on the Swiss tools--I think I'll stick to the Indian and Chinese made tools for now.

I think this site, and what I assume are its sister sites, are great. I'll try not to ask too many stupid questions.

Thanks again.

MaxQ