When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SSD Helium valve issue

geyper man

Anyone reached dismantling the SSD's helium valve? It looks functional and seems to be screwed to the case... just wanted to add a gasket and silicone grease to make it waterproof.

Is there any place to source a like gen specs aftermarket one?

Thanks in advance for your time!

Unlike the (Not-So)Deepsea, the SSD4k's HE valve works the correct way and is o-ringed. I have had 2 of these and neither of them leak at all.

These things are tough. The latest one I have easily maxed out the machine with just a little Vaseline on the seals. YMMV but I suspect yours will be the same.

J

The more points of entry you guys have on a case, the more possibility for leaks; it doesn't make sense from a risk-management standpoint to not seal it off. Yes, mine tested solid to 10 ATMs, and yes, I've had most of my reps down to 100 ft or more, but if you're not a saturation diver who's working at thousands of feet below the surface, an HEV--functional or not--has about as much use as a veggie burger at Ted Nuggent's house.

If that watch ever touches salt-water and happens to leak, it's over. Unless you're planning on going down to 3,000 feet, do yourself a favor and seal it. Even the gens occasionally fail.

Edited by gioarmani

Guys, Gio has some great advice, don't take the risk. If you are a swimmer, poolside layabout or a recreational diver, the HEV is strictly for looks and conversation. It serves no useful purpose at at all, but it has the potential to be the failure point for your watch. Just because you put it in a pressure tester, and it's OK for 300 feet, doesn't account for moving around in the water, bumping against objects underwater, etc. There are enough other water ingress points to worry about with out this one.

SEAL IT SHUT!!

Just my Dos centavos

Arthur