When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Loosing your "soul" ?

p-lund

Not necessarily, but 95% of the time you're generally loosing the aesthetic accuracy of the watch (sub-dial placement, etc.). You're also loosing the appreciation for the craftsmanship it takes to build, regulate and maintain an automatic timepiece.

If you just want a "somewhat close" look to a genuine, then you're normally going to blow it with most quartz movements, with anyone who knows anything about the gens (seeing as they do pay attention to sub-dial placements, etc.).

With concerns of low maintenance and low cost, your approach sounds like it's more towards the practical than it is toward the aesthetic; the way I see it is if you want the practicality without the embarrassment of being spotted with a more-than-obvious fake, a cheap genuine would suit you better (quartz Seiko, Casio, Citizen, etc.). If you want an almost unspottable watch--even to most supposed "experts"--you're going to have to go for an automatic. And quite frankly, with proper maintenance, a good automatic will outlive a quartz any day of the week.

I have had this same quandary for some time. I recently started wearing quartz chronographs namely the royal oak reps with the same case as the 7750 versions. I love the ROO but I refuse to pay $600 for a fake watch. I figure if it is a chronograph the large second hand is always stopped as they are on my auto chronos and they have satisfied me so far. Also I ran on of spots on my winder so either buy a couple watches or another winder? Hmmmm. Tough decision. I wouldn't however wear any 3 handed watch, including a gen, that is quartz.

I have some friends locally that I get watches for. Most of them don't care if it is powered by quartz, auto or hamsters. This is why we are such a rare bunch.

After over 20 years of collecting watches both gen and rep I think I may have matured a bit. I no longer turn my nose up top the quartz chrono, but like you said it still has to be high quality, aesthetically close to gen and the right model. I think the Omega SMP is available in automatic asian 7750 at a reasonable enough price. If we are talking the difference between $100 and $600 the quartz audemars is good enough for me. If we are talking the difference between $100 and $250 for a SMP I think the auto is a no brainer.

@Gio, stop posting so much, I can't seem to read anything else once I stare at your sig. :bangin:

When I come to add a chrono to my collection, it will be a quartz one. I couldn't care less about subdial spacing, and don't trust the a7750 with the seconds at 6 mod, so I'd rather go for quartz and get something which won't be a timebomb ;)

I say "buy what you like and like what you buy" Clever aint I? :D When I first arrived here I knew nothing about movements. I saw that the quartz Omega PO crono was around $125.00. The 7750(the sub dial spacing has been fixed) version was over twice that much, I chose the quartz. I can not bring myself to wear this anymore, It Is a poster child for a "fake watch". The thing that really bothers me Is that It does not feel right. I dont mind wearing a quartz watch once In a while but only If that Is the Intended movement, Seiko, casio, etc. If Im going to wear something that supposed to be a "high quality rep" then It must have the right movement. It's not about what someone else might or might not think. It's about how the watch feels on my wrist. If I have a cheep $20.00 quartz movement In a watch that suposed to be a "high end Swiss timepiece, well whats the point? :g: If someone were to have tried to explain this to me a year ago I would have not... "got It" Again It's not what people will think. Most people dont know "Jack" about watches. I see a lot of people using there cell phones to tell them the time of day. :unsure: To each his own. If you feel comfortable wearing a quartz rep then by all means do so. If you ever worry about being " called out" then there no better way to Insure this then by wearing a watch with the wrong movement. As luck would have It you will be at your HS reunion sitting next to a hot old girlfriend who works for a watchmaker and knows her shi ;) about timepieces. Oh dude thats got to hurt. :wounded1: tic tic tic

I say "buy what you like and like what you buy" Clever aint I? :D When I first arrived here I knew nothing about movements. I saw that the quartz Omega PO crono was around $125.00. The 7750(the sub dial spacing has been fixed) version was over twice that much, I chose the quartz. I can not bring myself to wear this anymore, It Is a poster child for a "fake watch". The thing that really bothers me Is that It does not feel right. I dont mind wearing a quartz watch once In a while but only If that Is the Intended movement, Seiko, casio, etc. If Im going to wear something that supposed to be a "high quality rep" then It must have the right movement. It's not about what someone else might or might not think. It's about how the watch feels on my wrist. If I have a cheep $20.00 quartz movement In a watch that suposed to be a "high end Swiss timepiece, well whats the point? :g: If someone were to have tried to explain this to me a year ago I would have not... "got It" Again It's not what people will think. Most people dont know "Jack" about watches. I see a lot of people using there cell phones to tell them the time of day. :unsure: To each his own. If you feel comfortable wearing a quartz rep then by all means do so. If you ever worry about being " called out" then there no better way to Insure this then by wearing a watch with the wrong movement. As luck would have It you will be at your HS reunion sitting next to a hot old girlfriend who works for a watchmaker and knows her shi ;) about timepieces. Oh dude thats got to hurt. :wounded1: tic tic tic

That's my motto, and I follow your reasoning on not wearing a quartz version of an automatic watch, in that it is an obvious flaw. Would I wear a quartz Sub? I don't know... Possibly not... There's something about mechanical movements which I do appreciate :) But, for a chrono watch, I think I would rather have the flaw of the quartz movement, than the timebomb of an a7750 doing what it's known to do :lol:

That's my motto, and I follow your reasoning on not wearing a quartz version of an automatic watch, in that it is an obvious flaw. Would I wear a quartz Sub? I don't know... Possibly not... There's something about mechanical movements which I do appreciate :) But, for a chrono watch, I think I would rather have the flaw of the quartz movement, than the timebomb of an a7750 doing what it's known to do :lol:

I see where your comming from TJ, thats one of the big reasons I focus on the three hand autos. I really like the simple dependable (for the most part) auto's 2824's and manual handwind(6497) etc. They are also beautiful to look at,better then looking at, a metal plate with a battery stuck In the middle of It, :yawn: Imho :)