When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

202A PVD Full sunlight

lanikai

Some pics of my 202A in extreme sunlight ~

Again, reacting differently in full daylight... my fav time of the year.. not a cloud in the sky and cool.. B)

202aandagedbezel001.jpg

202aandagedbezel004.jpg

202aandagedbezel033.jpg

202aandagedbezel005.jpg

202aandagedbezel029.jpg

Still lovin my 202A

Thanks for viewing

AC/Lani

Loving that PVD alot Lanikai!!

I Just had to post this superb gen image so you can compare the PVD and see the 2 distinctly different dials that were produced.

10z4od2.jpg

FGD

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving that PVD alot Lanikai!!

I Just had to post this superb gen image so you can compare the PVD and see the 2 distinctly different dials that were produced.

10z4od2.jpg

FGD

I need to take some pics with the flash and compare them to these.. a flash in minimum lighting and the PVD should resemble these pics.. to replicate the lighting in each individual genuine pic is the challenge.. as the PVD reacts differently in various lighting..

I need to take some pics with the flash and compare them to these.. a flash in minimum lighting and the PVD should resemble these pics.. to replicate the lighting in each individual genuine pic is the challenge.. as the PVD reacts differently in various lighting..

Anyone could provide more information about these two different dials? I know that for the 5218/202A were produced 140 units and 10 prototypes. Does the 'aged' dial belong to one of the prototypes? What's the reason of these two different dials? I also noticed that certain models have the CG's pin polished and others not..

Thanks

Anyone could provide more information about these two different dials? I know that for the 5218/202A were produced 140 units and 10 prototypes. Does the 'aged' dial belong to one of the prototypes? What's the reason of these two different dials? I also noticed that certain models have the CG's pin polished and others not..

Thanks

Some info I found about this watch (http://www.wristwatchphoto.com/)although not saying the quantity of watches with darkened tritium:

In 1993 Officine Panerai produced a series of watches for the normal consumer market (Panerai had been producing instruments for the navy since 1860). These watches were produced and sold before Vendome acquired the company in March 1997. For this reason, these particular models are often referred to as "Pre-Vendome" or "pre-V" watches. Any of these Pre-V watches are now hard to find and considered to be collectible. Asking prices have gone through the roof, which is especially true for certain watches - the PVD steel Panerai 202/A is one of them.

The top part of the dial - underneath the 12 - has two lines of text "Luminor Panerai" and the bottom part of the dial shows "Marina Militare". The 202/A is often referred to as being a "four-liner" because of the text on the dial. Very few Panerai watches have "militare" in their model name. Besides the 202/A, the most famous watches that have this are the special edition Panerai 36, the destro 217 and the elusive model 267 (only six units produced).

Some of the 201/A and 202/A watches were produced with a varnish that caused the color of the tritium to change to dark orange. This was actually a fault in the production process of these watches, that Panerai corrected before producing all the units. Therefor only some of the watches have this orange color. Because the color of the indexes/numbers is different than the color of the tritium hands, these watches are referred to as "non-matching".

Some info I found about this watch (http://www.wristwatchphoto.com/)although not saying the quantity of watches with darkened tritium:

In 1993 Officine Panerai produced a series of watches for the normal consumer market (Panerai had been producing instruments for the navy since 1860). These watches were produced and sold before Vendome acquired the company in March 1997. For this reason, these particular models are often referred to as "Pre-Vendome" or "pre-V" watches. Any of these Pre-V watches are now hard to find and considered to be collectible. Asking prices have gone through the roof, which is especially true for certain watches - the PVD steel Panerai 202/A is one of them.

The top part of the dial - underneath the 12 - has two lines of text "Luminor Panerai" and the bottom part of the dial shows "Marina Militare". The 202/A is often referred to as being a "four-liner" because of the text on the dial. Very few Panerai watches have "militare" in their model name. Besides the 202/A, the most famous watches that have this are the special edition Panerai 36, the destro 217 and the elusive model 267 (only six units produced).

Some of the 201/A and 202/A watches were produced with a varnish that caused the color of the tritium to change to dark orange. This was actually a fault in the production process of these watches, that Panerai corrected before producing all the units. Therefor only some of the watches have this orange color. Because the color of the indexes/numbers is different than the color of the tritium hands, these watches are referred to as "non-matching".

Thanks Kenthino, great info!

coming back to the FGD's picture, then the one on the right is the corrected model, the one that Panerai considered with the correct lume and varnish, right?

Thanks Kenthino, great info!

coming back to the FGD's picture, then the one on the right is the corrected model, the one that Panerai considered with the correct lume and varnish, right?

Yes, but whether that is the most appreciated is a different question. I just saw a gen 202 on e-bay with the altered color going for 99K US$.. at least that was the asking price.. :whistling:

Lani.....bratha.....you ready to sell this to me yet? :please::pray:

Am so friggin jealous

I'll take that as a very nice compliment Samu..

the case set was gifted to me and to even think of selling it..... no can B)

but get with Zigs.. OEM pvd .. you will be very happy with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Lanikai sales to 202/A?

this was, as many members have.... the FGD dials.. cutom made..

Ziggy is offering the OEM PVD service.. he has a January run on the books if you are interested.. his web site has all the pricing for his services..

You'll need a PreV case.. like the one in arminvanbuuren has posted in his sig.

Little Hero has the proper CG's

T48 crown

Fishgodeep dial.. he just finished another run of A series dials .. finished with lume and unfinished without lume.

6497 eta from DSN or Ofrei.

the crystal is from DSN.. the AR removed..

and the caseset was sent to Ziggy for PVD as the genuine model.

The key to source is the correct case.. blocky with stubby lugs.. fatter than the case's of the Panerai today..

I have a few in bounds as sample..

there is a project on the board where the gen case will b CDC'd..

So you have some sourcing to do.. check with FGD and see first of all if he has any dials available.. it won't be the 202A.. I have gotten 2 form his recent run.. 203A and the 218A..

Revolutionary Eye-catching PVD Prevendome beating to the rhythm of the Hawaiian Sun! :)

This 202A just about marks the realization of every Panerai enthusiast's beating hearts, hands down - no doubt about it.

The Zigmeister's PVD + work is impeccable to say the least, and I am definitely signing up for his next run, as FGD has graced this last quarter of 2009 with his new Pre-V releases.

It's a shame my Ziggified 202A is Safe Queen'ed at the moment as I am catching on the Rolex/Tudor fever....Lani, your pictorials + jaw-locking captures just about rekindled my Initial PreV Love!

About time we get those 44mm's on the wrist in the coming days!

Lovely, lovely....what a beautiful day!

Good to see you got your batteries charged ... :thumbsupsmileyanim:

actually Ubi got me motivated for Pams again.. and the Prev A models.. I was on a long sabbatical from the Pams.. and yuppers I enjoy the vintage much more than the modern era Pams..

this next batch of FGD dials and Ziggy's services should be jaw dropping for 2010 .. great prep to the New Year..

AC/L

Has FGD got any dials left? And did you guys find another of those cases that you're willing to part with?

Regards

Dan

You'll have to check with FGD Dan.. I had a 202A that was slightly tarnished .. but I cannot seem to locate it.. the case set is still in transit .. with the Holiday's my mail to the East coast is taking 3 times longer.. :(

You mean you had a 202A dial that was slightly tarnished? I'll PM FGD now actually and ask him.

I'm hoping to just speak to and send a case set, movement, hands and dial to The Zigmeister and it come back all done for me! :D I'm just having trouble locating Zig's website, is it possible you could PM it to me?

The caseset that is being shipped to you at the moment, is that available or are you using it for your own projects?

Regards

Dan

YOu can pm Zig.. I don't speak for him.. but he is available for members.. He may be away on business.. I dunno.. the only way to find out .. is to contact initially through pm.. that is how we all got started with Zig..

I'm hunting high and low for the dial..it grew fricken legs..

edit add.. I am receiving the case back as a sample to find out if it is the PreV .. if it is I'll post it up for you to view..the eta 6497 can be ordered through ofrei.. the crystal through DSN and the hands from DSN also.