When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

and then there were 4

Previously I had sent a picture of THE SILVER THEME model to my dealer and requested that they look into making this one as I felt it really stood out among the pack. When he had told me it wasn't possible I was disappointed.

Sure enough a few months later he emailed me to let me know it was in the works. (ps. yes my dealer is that great to work with)

I was thrilled.

previously I have posted about my other purchases.

AP ROO NAVY

navywrist.jpg

and although, the GEN does not come on the SS, I like to keep it this way. I did try and purchase a rubber blue strap from AP but they quickly told me that it didn't exist. The blue hornback from our dealers is crap and I don't like the black overtone it has. I am looking forward to hearing if the new AP brands rubber straps actually fit well. Please let me know if you have one.

I next moved on the the Black Rubber Clad

blackrubberwrist.jpg

Being a noob here, I did my best to read up on everything I could and what I found was the rubber bezzle in the previous issues caused major problems for members. This kept me from purchasing one for quite some time and even when the updated bezzle came out I was cautious.

To my great surpirse it has been an amazing watch that I wear almost everyday. Actually if you caught my post earlier this year about going to a BBQ at a friends house and him having the same watch on (except a GEN), the only major difference being that his dial POPPED out at you, the lume was insanely different and more pronounced but this was only noticeable side by side.

I next moved on the the Rose Gold Rubber Clad

rosegoldwrist.jpg

I wavered back and fourth about this and the Sachin.

Again, I read many postings about issues with the RG and the dials.

I think there is an obvious pattern here and I'm sure most of our older members have known this for a long time. But the dealers make the watches fast and make many mistakes, probably on purpose, people buy them and then they fix "some" of the issues and the we buy some more, then they fix "some more" of the issues and then we buy some more. It's like the DVD release of a movie, followed by the "special edition" release!

So annoying.

I found this watch to be mesmerizing and an amazing piece that really stands alone. For some reason, I am really attracted to the rubber, the comfort, the ease and I feel it is close to the GEN, more so than the hornback and some of the brush on the SS.

Okay, that brings me to my latest purchase the silver theme

silvertheme2.jpg

I have wanted to get a hornback watch but have been so cautious about all the postings about the smell, the painted edges, the off color. So I took a chance with this one. I believe if I had my NAVY on the rubber I would switch this to the SS.

I am not sure if I have become jaded in some way, because when i opened the box I wasn't mesmerized as I have been. I wasn't as awestruck and excited. Sure, it's beautiful, the quality is amazing and I do think it is a beautiful piece but I guess it's not as great as the Rose Gold? Maybe Tough to compare.

As far as my review other than my personal taste.

the strap

silverstrap.jpg

Really isn't bad at all. the smell is fine, the edges are smooth, the feel of the leather is good as well as the color. I believe you would really have to hold a GEN hornback right up next to it to know.

the pushers

silverpushers.jpg

the date window.

silverdatewindow.jpg

I will let you guys all discuss the spacing, to me this is not much of an issue.

the engraving

silverclasp-1.jpg

I don't think the picture does this much justice. I am a terrible photographer and actually this is from my camera phone. It looks good, a bit more sunk in than on some of my other watches.

the case back

silvercase.jpg

to me this is standard and really only an issue on the special editions. My reasoning for not purchasing the SACHIN was due to the incorrect serial number. That was just a deal breaker for me. However there is a member on here who has contacted me about being able to source the correct case back.

clasp

silverbuckle.jpg

to me this is also standard. I have not had an issues with my clasps except for the SS it pops open from time to time, which is annoying but I have been trying to fix that by squeezing it a bit tighter and it seems to have worked a bit.

the dials

pardon the terrible picture..

dials.jpg

the silver rings appear to me to be very GEN like and close.

The one personal note, the reddish, pink around the dial and the stop watch is really only prominent in our close up pictures. I actually like that a lot and wish it was much more noticeable to the naked eye.

As far as lume goes, I am not sure if the GEN has it, I do not believe it does as well as the NAVY this is not an issue for me as well..

Overall. It is a nice watch. I am wearing it right now and I love the silver bezzle and black band contrast. I am so use to the rubber that this is nice.

Sorry for the lame pictures and this is my first extensive review, so please pardon if I missed some things. I hope to get better. I am glad I had the time to do this much.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

4AP.jpg

Edited by goodfella0406

Great collection!

And how is the lume? I see that on your black rubberclad it already faded into dark grey - I've seen that happening on some - is rosegold rc also suffering this?

Thanks!

Oh and please let me know how is the RG buckle - engraved or etched?

Thank you kind sir!

As far as the Black RC

really it's the fault of my camera phone, for some reason my digital camera was taking worse pictures if you can believe it, I think the setting was off.

The lume on both is the only issue I have.

But it defiantly has not faded. It is there and decent on both, but when put any where near a GEN it FAILS!!! big time.

I have considered sending it off to Zig and having the work done but have just not got around to it.

I believe the lume is the key to the "popping" dial.

been wearing the silver theme since it arrived. Really loving it now. It is very classy and a bit more formal which is nice as my style tends to really work with the RC but I am enjoying this a lot. thanks for the response!

I'm going to say etched

Edited by goodfella0406

very nice, did u buy from the cartel o r someone else

I use Josh only. he has been incredible to deal with. I have strong communication with him all the time, even when we are not in a transaction. We discuss trends and possibilities of reps to be made. I wouldn't say I was responsible at all but as I mentioned, I sent him a picture of the Silver Themes months ago asking if he would try and rep it. Weather that had anything to do with it or not, who knows but I love my Silver Theme.

Funny though, had I known the Montoya was coming, I just might have held off on the Silver theme

LOL

The lume on both is the only issue I have.

But it defiantly has not faded. It is there and decent on both, but when put any where near a GEN it FAILS!!! big time.

I think you did not get my point exactly.

You see this is what I noticed on my Black Rubberclad - after just one intense day in strong sun my lume faded from nice light green to dull dark grey:

Before:

61691007tg3.jpg

After:

99242550hb1.jpg

49271547gn4.jpg

At first I thought it was just an ilussion but the before pics proved it.

I also think it can be seen in your black rubberclad (it even looks darker grey in your than mine):

blackrubberwrist.jpg

I wonder if they fixed this problem later.